phpMyAdmin 'root with no password' problem

Mattingly23

Hi,

I\'m new to php. I set up a localhost server on my computer, and I\'m trying to use phpMyAdmin with mySql. When I run phpMyAdmin, I get a message at the bottom of the site:

Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole.

It seems like I can still work on everything ok, although I haven\'t tried because I\'m not sure what I\'m doing yet.

I thought I set up a password for mySQL using mySQLAdmin. I put these in the config file for myPHPAdmin, but then it said I couldn\'t log on.

Is this a problem if I\'m working just on my computer? What if I upload my files to a host that supports php, will this problem still be there? If it is a problem, how do I fix it?

Thank you for your help.

Well you either have a mysql password for the root account or you don\'t. If you don\'t you need to set one, which is what the phpmyadmin message is warning you about.

Once you login to mysqladmin you should use the mysql database. Then issue this query to change your root password (in the phpmyadmin sql window):

UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD(\'somenewpw\') WHERE user=\'root\'

Once that query completes, issue this command:

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

It\'s also a good thing to create one or more users and associate them with individual databases for the purposes of developing scripts or using your own script. This command let\'s you create a new user and give that user permissions to use a database called test_db you created with the command CREATE DATABASE test_db:

GRANT ALL ON test_db.* TO testusr@localhost IDENTIFIED BY \"testusrpw\";

I think it matters if someone found your phpmyadmin page, and was able to go into mysql as root because you had no password. From there it\'s quite easy to do a lot of nasty things to not only your database but to the system itself since mysql has the ability to read/write file system files.

Well you either have a mysql password for the root account or you don\'t. If you don\'t you need to set one, which is what the phpmyadmin message is warning you about.

Once you login to mysqladmin you should use the mysql database. Then issue this query to change your root password (in the phpmyadmin sql window):

UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD(\'somenewpw\') WHERE user=\'root\'

Once that query completes, issue this command:

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

i\'ve just installed mysql and followed your instructions to change the root password as shown above. After i changed the password, i can\'t seem to be able to login to phpmyadmin after a refresh(F5) with the error:

\"phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

Error

MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user: \'root\'@\'localhost\' (Using password: NO)\"

the server is up running and i am able to login to mysql query through the windows command prompt by C:mysqlbin>mysql -u root -p , and then the new password.

So i tried to change these settings in config.inc as shown below:

$cfg[\'Servers\'][$i][\'auth_type\'] = \'config\';

$cfg[\'Servers\'][$i][\'user\'] = \'root\';

$cfg[\'Servers\'][$i][\'password\'] = \'newpasswordhere\';

And then i got a different error as shown below:

\"phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

Error

MySQL said:

#1250 - Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

[Documentation]\"

The only problem is that i can\'t login to phpmyadmin. Can you or someone help please? :cry:

My computer:

OS windows 2000

MySQL 4.1.1alpha-nt

Apache 2.0.48

PHP 4.31

My sql.user:

+-----------+------+-------------------------------------------+--------

---------+---------------+--------------+-----------+------------+------

-----------+------------------+--------------+-----------------+--------

-+-------------+-----------------+

| localhost | root | *38BD01F782C3A573921C98F969FAE38DD3780B8E | Y

| Y | Y | Y | Y | Y

| Y | Y | Y | Y

| 0 | 0 |

| % | root | *38BD01F782C3A573921C98F969FAE38DD3780B8E | Y

| Y | Y | Y | Y | Y

| Y | Y | Y | Y

| 0 | 0 |

| localhost | | | N

| N | N | N | N | N

| N | N | N | N

| 0 | 0 |

| % | | | N

| N | N | N | N | N

| N | N | N | N

| 0 | 0 |

+-----------+------+-------------------------------------------+--------

---------+---------------+--------------+-----------+------------+------

-----------+------------------+--------------+-----------------+--------

-+-------------+-----------------+

I would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me with this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.