Assembly language

dptr1988

Do you know how to progam in Assembly language?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know how to progam in Assembly language?

• Yes
    • No
    • What is it?

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=101004.msg497785#msg497785 date=1168038739]
Assembly is a very low-level "language" that's used for interacting with the hardware, even below the operating system's control. The most common application for assembly is in a computer's BIOS, for communicating with the various hardware devices in the system. Comparing assembly to other languages is less than "apples and oranges" - more like apples and rocks. (Crappy analogy, I know.)
[/quote]

I would say more like comparing apples to seeds. 

• 1 month later...
I used it in college.. The two biggest assignments were to program a queue in assembly and another to run these boards built by students from the computer engineering department.  We used a simulator, spimsal, to simulate MIPS instructions if I remember correctly.  The latter half of the course we programmed in HC11 for motorola processors; I still have my three HC11 books on my bookshelf.

@redbullmarky, you are partially correct in your game development comment.  Most of what they do is in C or C++, but sometimes they have to take real control of the hardware.

The other field where you'd probably still see some assembly is in real time systems.  Programmers for all our handy devices like coffee pots, alarm clocks, microwaves, pagers, cell phones, navigation systems, modems, routers, etc. still probably use it here and there.

I've looked at it. Kind of gotten a feel for it, though I can't say I really know it yet. Assembly is one thing that I really want to look into, as I have an interested in OS development, and as far as I'm aware you'll need at least a small bit of assembly to get everything started up.

• 2 months later...
I wish I could change my vote, because I recently learned assembly.
[quote]
as I have an interested in OS development, and as far as I'm aware you'll need at least a small bit of assembly to get everything started up.
[/quote]
Actually, you need quite a bit of assembly, the GDT (global descriptor table) and the IDT (interrupt descriptor table) (they are very important) require big chunks of assembly and you'll need assembly for debugging, i.e. doing things like register and stack dumps.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote author=dark dude link=topic=101004.msg401604#msg401604 date=1153564938]
If "Assembly language" is C/C+/C++ then yes, I do knowa small amount of Assembly language =]
[/quote]I'm pretty sure that C and all of it's variants are or originally were CREATED BY Assembly. And most high level languages like PHP are created from creations of Assembly.

[quote]I'm pretty sure that C and all of it's variants are or originally were CREATED BY Assembly. And most high level languages like PHP are created from creations of Assembly.[/quote]

The original C compilers had to be written in assembly; but once a single C compiler exists then you can create future C compilers in C instead of assembly.

IIRC, the first Microsoft C compiler was written in Borland's C IDE.

[quote author=Azu link=topic=101004.msg641679#msg641679 date=1184150411] And most high level languages like PHP are created from creations of Assembly.
[/quote]

Technically that's true, although it would be more accurate to say that PHP is written in C.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=101004.msg649158#msg649158 date=1184869008]
Maybe it's a stupid question, but how was the first assembly compiler then made? ???
[/quote]Yep, binary.
Assembly is the lowest (fastest/smallest) programming language besides binary.
The downside is that it has a steeper learning curve; it's not as simple and easy as "higher" level languages.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Might sound weird but I could only understand the whole programming principles after learning some asm XD
Really It just doesn't tell you what variables types you have, you just have 1byte 2 bytes, 4bytes ,etc and that rocks XD
No arrays, no echo functions, no ifs, no while, no fors !!!!! =)

I started with dos asm, and then with win32

btw win32 asm is about using windows api, so it doesn't look so different from other high lvl lang as C....
And with modern assemblers (FASM for ex.) you can use some high lvl structures like IF, WHILE, SWITCH, etc

i think if i learned, at least a little assembly, it would help me in my everyday coding. probably give me a better view and overall understanding of the workings of all these electronic devices we use everyday. but for now i will spend my time on languages that work for me and my applications. if i happen to need assembly, then great! i will TRY and learn it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.