[SOLVED] How can I return to a page via $_SESSION['PHP_SELF']

eelmitchell

I'm trying to get a form page to call back on itself by action=$SERVER['PHP_SELF"] but I don't believe the _SESSION variable is defined.

My test code page is:

<html> <body>
<h1>Test</h1>
<?php
    if($_POST) {
        echo("Return after form data entry<br />");
        $quantity = $_POST['quantity'];
    }
    else {
        echo("First time page opened.<br />");
?>
        <form method="post" action="<?php echo($_SESSION['PHP_SELF'])?>">
            Quantity:<input type="text" size="10" name="quantity"
                        value="<?php echo($_POST["quantity"])?>" />
        <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" />
        </form>
<?php
    }
?>
</body></html>

and the output is:

<html> <body>
<h1>Test</h1>
First time page opened.<br />        <form method="post" action="<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: _SESSION in <b>C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SalesForm\test.php</b> on line <b>11</b><br />
">
            Quantity:<input type="text" size="10" name="quantity"
                        value="<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined index:  quantity in <b>C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SalesForm\test.php</b> on line <b>13</b><br />
" />
        <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" />
        </form>
</body></html>

The first time I would expect $_POST to be undefined and sure enough if($_POST) ... is false so we get to the <form ...> tag.

But the $_SESSION is unknown so the "action" field is filled with an error message and won't return to the page.  It should be http://localhost/salesform/test.php.

In addition the $_POST['quantity'] gives a message as an "Undefined index".  I know it's undefined but I would expect an empty string.  The second time through the value will be known and that makes the data sticky.

How can I get the page URL so the action can return and how can I produce the empty string for filling the form values the first time through?

Environment:

Windows XP Pro SP3

PHP 5.1 from binaries to C:\PHP5

php.ini is php.ini-recommended except for mysql changes.

Thanks for correcting me.  $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] turns into the correct file name for the page (action="/salesform/test.php">).

I also realised I shouldn't be getting the default value for the input text field from $_POST.  If I initialise $quantity to an empty string then the value is correct the first time in the form and will be overridden when the form returns with some data.

As a newcomer to PHP, I appreciate the help.

How do I put [sOLVED] on the Subject?  I read somewhere there was a button or do I just edit the subject line itself?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.