Help Reading Instructions - PHPEclipse and xDebug

??? So I think I may seriously be an idiot here.

I was using Eclipse-PDT but it kept giving me error messages and not loading files and generally being a pain so I am now trying PHPEclipse.

Installed Eclipse, the PHPEclipse plugin and xDebug correctly.

Now I an trying to configure xDebug so i can run things but I just can't make heads or tails of the instructions  >:(

http://www.phpeclipse.com/wiki/XDebug_and_PHPEclipse

From above we can find that our Remote Src path is the DocumentRoot which is set to /home/ed_mann/dev30.

Remote Path = /home/ed_mann/dev30 You will need to replace that Remote Path with the path you get from your Apache conf file, or your virtual host configuration.

Now on our local machine where we are running Eclipse our workspace is in

/home/ed_mann/workspace

and the project is called dev30

So our total local path would be

local path = /home/ed_mann/workspace/dev30

Please change "local path" to your workspace and project name path. We will be using this information later, so keep it in mind or write it down.

Notice how our apache path does not have workspace, but our local path does. That is ok. The server that is hosting the files stores it in the ed_mann directory, but you can use a nfs/smb/sftp(fuse) export to mount the files into /home/ed_mann/workspace. So if the paths are not the same it's ok. Eclipse only needs to know where on each end is the source files.

Where are these changes supposed to be made? to the Apache config file? Somewhere w/in Eclipse (and then how to find that?) I am at a complete loss and Google isn't yielding any results. Thank you.

???

OK so I just ran this by someone else and here is their interpretation:

You find the path in the config file and make sure your eclipse workspace uses it.  Nothing more.

If THAT is the case then I'm at a loss as to why it's not working.

According to my apache config file my DocumentRoot is c:/wamp/www

So I set Eclipse workspace to c:/wamp/www and also tried c:/wamp/workspace/www

I added the bit of code to the bottom of my php.ini file

zend_extension=/usr/lib64/php/modules/xdebug.so

xdebug.remote_enable=On

xdebug.remote_autostart=On

xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp

xdebug.remote_host=192.168.1.100

xdebug.remote_port=9000

xdebug.remote_mode=req

And restarted everything and my apache server several times. phpinfo() doesn't register the xDebug at all.  ???

Edit: BTW, I really only want to use the Eclipse Console to run/debug, I don't need to use a browser at this point in time. Why is this such an elaborate pain to do one simple thing and test a var_dump?! >:(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.