[SOLVED] 10 Gb/s NIC Card

samona

I was wondering if anyone knows whether there are 10Gb/s NIC cards for desktops, and whether getting them would even make a difference as far as speed in a 10Gb network. It would probably depend on the application but since I don't know of any application that supports 10Gb/s , I don't think it would be worth spending the money. What say you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2052810027%201128134145&name=10Gbps

They seem to exist.... (No preference towards newegg, just the first place that popped into my head lol.)  Hopefully you'll be able to find them cheaper than that though haha.

You have a 10Gb/s router?  If so, then yes, the computer could theoretically max out at around 10Gb/s, but you must remember that router speed is shared.  If 4 computers are transferring data over the network, obviously the maximum speed will not be achievable with one single computer (unless the router has QoS set to do that).

As for 10Gb/s....  Do you really need that?  1.25GB/s!  That's pretty damn fast.  As far as I know, there aren't any disks that write or read anywhere near that quickly, so you would come to that bottleneck eventually.  (That is, unless you have a situation where you have 2 computers talking to each other where the data is manipulated mainly in memory and data is streamed very quickly between the two.)

As far as applications have a speed limit....  Every application supports any speed of connection unless coded other wise.  It's not like programmers have a reason to be like "Mwa hahah! I shall make this program max out at xKB/s!!!!"

As far as applications have a speed limit....  Every application supports any speed of connection unless coded other wise.  It's not like programmers have a reason to be like "Mwa hahah! I shall make this program max out at xKB/s!!!!"

Yeah but it kind of has to process the data fast enough when it receives it in order to support that.

Well yeah, but that's a processor/memory restraint, not a program constraint.  (Well, technically it could be seen as a program restraint since the program could be badly written or just processing intensive.)

Guess I should have mentioned that or reworded "Every application supports any speed of connection unless coded other wise."

;p

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.