Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xu Wei Jie

Forward slash or back slash

I am not sure if this is a PHP question. Generally, files and directories in Windows use backslash in their paths. Unix and others use forward slash. Correct me if I am wrong.

However, I wish to know how php functions(especially the file functions) interpret and handle the slashes. Is it platform independent? Sometimes, I do get errors when using the wrong slash.

Please advise me on this.

However, I do not need the absolute path. I just need it to detect which platform it is on and use the appropriate slash.

$os = ((strpos(strtolower(PHP_OS), 'win') === 0) || (strpos(strtolower(PHP_OS), 'cygwin') !== false)) ? 'win32' : 'unix';
switch ($os) {
case 'win32' :	define('SLASH','/');
				break;
default :		define('SLASH','\\');
				break;
}

Thanks Mark. This snippet is very neat. However, there are many values PHP_OS can take. This means I need to find out all the operating systems on how they handle slashes.

However, I want php to figure out the slash to use instead of hardcoding based on PHP_OS. Is there such a feature?

Anyone has a lot of experience with such file handling in PHP?

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me if it is safe that I can assume that forward slash / can be handled on any OS in PHP?

the way i do it is use the predifined constant called DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR

i would redefine it to something like DS to avoid having RLY long paths lol.

<?php
define( 'DS'	, DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR );
define( 'BASE' 	, __FILE__ );
$fs_path_array = explode( DS, BASE );
?>

works on both unix and windows systems.

Using / will always work unless Windows changes to not allow using / which I don't see happening.

i agree windows will never change / front slash, as it part off the internal library structure

of the operating system it self.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.