Migrating PHP based "table" to a view or other table.

PC Nerd

Hi,

At the moment I've got two tables: "Sports" and "Groups"  - and I've got a PHP script editing another table which is like a "sports by group" (or "events") eg. seperating different groups of competitors (ages, disabilities... whatever the group is)...  I need the table to have a static ID for each row/"event" generated.... so I cant use a view because it cant have a primary key.

Is there an SQL based alternative, that will allow the same final queryable table/view but that will remove the language side of it (like creating a view with primary keys?)

Thanks,

PC_Nerd

Good point....

two tables, I need to have a third with all of the other two table's worth of data init - linked with a Primary key....  eg:  in the new table, for each record in the groups table I would have every record from the sports table...  At the moment I can get the data like I want into a view - but those dont allow primary keys ( and understandably)..... At the moment I'm having to "start" the system by using PHP to generate each record into the new table - and then essentially lock access to the other two tables - because changing them could change the new table's data ( which is the "mission critical" thing in the system....

Is there an alternative method to this scripting?

groups

--------

group_id int PK

group_name varchar

upper_limit int

lower_limit int

sports

-------

sport_id int PK

name varchar

data:

groups

-------

1, "Jnr", 12,15

2, "Snr", 16, 19

sports

--------

1,"High Jump"

2, "Long Jump"

so that my resulting table would be:

events

1, 1( sport_id), 1 (group  id)

2, 1, 2

3, 2,1

At the moment I can acheive a similar thing in a view - however the events table cannot have the primary key .... can I get a primary key in there somewhere?

events is the resulting table..

I'm trying to join the groups and sports together, so that the event table contains every sport for every group - with a uid so that I can reference it with point counts etc.... ?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "INSERT INTO... SELECT...". (as in I know the SQL.. but not what its talkign about table wise).....

the events table/view/whatever needs to have a static id to each group/sport id combination ( as I showed in the example events table).... thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by the "INSERT INTO... SELECT...". (as in I know the SQL.. but not what its talkign about table wise).....

You can use the resultset from one query as the input for another... the refman has examples.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.