_TOP and _PARENT opens new IE??

just-j

its a simple link  but in IE it is opening a new browser when clicked  i need to target the entire screen in IE because the link is in an IFRAME.  ive tried both
[code]<a href='index.php' target='_TOP'>HOME</a>[/code]
and
[code]<a href='index.php' target='_PARENT'>HOME</a>[/code]

they both want to open up a new IE.  im stumped.  please help.

• 2 years later...
[quote author=just-j link=topic=101309.msg400809#msg400809 date=1153431702]
its a simple link  but in IE it is opening a new browser when clicked  i need to target the entire screen in IE because the link is in an IFRAME.  ive tried both
[code]<a href='index.php' target='_TOP'>HOME</a>[/code]
and
[code]<a href='index.php' target='_PARENT'>HOME</a>[/code]

they both want to open up a new IE.  im stumped.  please help.
[/quote]

"_top" loads the linked document in the topmost frame... that is, the new page fills the entire window.

"_self" puts the new document in the same window and frame as the current document. "_self" works the same as if you had not used TARGET at all.

"_parent" is used in the situation where a frameset file is nested inside another frameset file. A link in one of the inner frameset documents which uses "_parent" will load the new document where the inner frameset file had been.

"_blank" opens the new document in a new window.

I was going to post the website where I got this information however I just read the rules and am not allowed. Go to google and seach "_top". You'll be fine :) google is our best friend at times =)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.