w3cite.org - Small citation generator

fabrydesign

Fantastic idea, but:

"Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

No errors here.

Looks good, but could use something extra. Why not offer different types of citations with a radio button? MLA APA etc...

Other than that, yea it is kind of just plain, like "nothing to see here...move along sir."

Ah yes I got it working now :) A really good service, I would concur with premiso, having the option to select different types of referencing would be very good (I use the harvard style, whatever that is).

ILMV

Looks good, but could use something extra. Why not offer different types of citations with a radio button? MLA APA etc...

Other than that, yea it is kind of just plain, like "nothing to see here...move along sir."

Ah yes I got it working now :) A really good service, I would concur with premiso, having the option to select different types of referencing would be very good (I use the harvard style, whatever that is).

Once I get the basis for the engine worked out, I'll definitely look into offering citation formats other than MLA (that's just the one my school district uses, so I started with it), since it's just a matter of arranging the variables differently.

Any suggestions on how to make it not so "plain"? I was really looking to keep it as simple as possible for the sake of quick load times and ease of use. I'd admit right now it is kind of bare, but in the future there will be more links in the navbar, and with a tabbed input form for the different citation types, it might reach the tipping point for enough visual interest.

Also, quick survey, would you implement the "cite" meta tags in a website based on what is currently on the site?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I've updated the site to support different Citation Styles (APA, Chicago and Bluebook as well as MLA).

http://www.w3cite.org/

Again, does anyone feel inspired to use the "cite" meta tags on their sites? Is it futile to try and get them to be widely popularised? Should I research how to make an API or something to provide greater outside interest in the idea?

The only organisation that will be able to roll out your concept of websites using these meta tags would be Wikipedia, because they have the web presence already.

I think it would be better (but maybe not easier) to attempt to find the data using other methods, for example try and find on a web page "article written by joe bloggs" or "article updated 12/03/2009"...

Obviously more difficult, but then you wouldn't have to try and distribute your meta tags :)

If you get that nailed (or something similar) then this service will be in my bookmark bar, and I assume lots of other students.

Thats a very nice thing. Good job.

I think it would be better (but maybe not easier) to attempt to find the data using other methods...

Yes, it would be better to get the info using other methods.

@fabrydesign: The standard author, description meta tags can be used. Why have you gone to create new ones? I think, most of webmasters don't use author meta tags itself, and now bringing in new ones wouldn't be a wise choice. Instead you can help increase the usage of standard meta tags with your service.

BTW keep it up, hope to see more features.

I think it would be better (but maybe not easier) to attempt to find the data using other methods, for example try and find on a web page "article written by joe bloggs" or "article updated 12/03/2009"...

Definitely something I want to work on, but when I look at it, websites have little standardization in format, so adding in new rules for detecting things will probably break functionality for more sites than it helps.

If you get that nailed (or something similar) then this service will be in my bookmark bar, and I assume lots of other students.

That's what I'm aiming for. ;)

The standard author, description meta tags can be used. Why have you gone to create new ones? I think, most of webmasters don't use author meta tags itself, and now bringing in new ones wouldn't be a wise choice. Instead you can help increase the usage of standard meta tags with your service.

The standard author tag is utilized, the cite-author tag overrides it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hey fabrydesign, I thought I might point this out to you... I tried to cite this site:

http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid11_gci1059931,00.html

your site returned this error:

Error:This page does not have a title. Citation cannot be generated.
http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid11_gci1059931,00.html

I think it's because the gtml html title field is screwed up:

<title> 

The importance of data quality for data warehousing and CRM </title> 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.