What do you do?

cmgmyr

I know this doesn't have anything to do with PHP at all, but I was just wondering what you all do for a living, if it has to do with php or no. Also what other technologies you work with.

I guess I'll start :)

I work full time at a local distribution company as a System Manager, handling all of the IT business.

Some things that I deal with on an every day basis is AIX, VB, Prophet 21, Excel, Access, Word, and I also work on their website occasionally. I also all of the networking/hardware stuff too. Plus whatever else happens to come up.

And when I get home I have my own web design/computer consulting business that keeps me fairly busy.

What do you do?

-Chris

Well, I just changed jobs, so I guess the old thread about this is out of date anyways.

I work full time for a company that deals with clinical trials.  Our main design tool is an Excel work book, since it's honestly the fastest way to get things done.  We pass that off to a compiler that throws in custom Java and exports XML files that are used within our website for clients to enter data.  So I also use Java from time to time and I've done some custom VBA/VB stuff around here for little efficiency apps.

I've only been here a month, so I'm not sure what else I'll get into.  I will probably be involved with the databases eventually (that's pretty much all I did at my last job).

On the side, I freelance with PHP and web design as well as computer consulting like yourself.

I am a programmer for a Gas Compressor Manufacturer. 

I work with PHP, MySQL, AJAX, Oracle, and BaaN 4GL. 

Currently I'm developing a sorta E-Commerce site, and building custom web applications to display information to people easier than in our ERP system. 

I'm a systems analyst/project manager for a web dev company and we work for one dedicated client that serves a computer reseller in the US.
i don't enjoy it so much since i mostly just analyze systems and manage it. i'd rather code but i figure i should learn as many aspects of the industry as i can so here i am :)

i still freelance program at home one weeks when i have time. time is a bi*ch :/

i'm currently working at a university in the chem department.  i work with a UV-Vis-NIR spectrometer, a SPEX spectrofluorometer, Origin, Excel, and some lasers (class 4 - whee).  i also work extensively with pipettes, irritating solvents, glass vials, quartz cuvettes and data that never seems to tell us what we want it to.  i'll also mention that i work in a basement without any windows.

i freelance at home with PHP and MySQL almost exclusively.  recently got into AJAX (it's pretty much just PHP and javascript, so nothing new as it turns out), and been brushing up on CSS for layouts. 

in september, it's back to relatively steady freelance work (hopefully), full time school (physical chemistry) and swimming.  i guess i'm one of the only non-long-term-IT guys here.  although with the amount of money i stand to make as a chemist vs. the amount of money one can make programming, i wonder why some days.

Apart from the freelance stuff I do in my spare time, and the video store I manage (my parents own :( ) I work as the System Administrator for the college I attend. 

Baiscally I keep the firewall up, the ports forwarded/blocked, monitor online activity, ensure no one is doing anything illegal, monitor network activity, fix network/router problems, fix teachers computer problems, fix the problems in the tv classes, and manage four of the five computer labs on campus.  Primarly I am a linux user, but the person over the computer stuff on campus is a microsoft fan, so everything is run on windows.  It is an interesting job, and never a dull day.  Just yesterday there was a kid who had 100 connections open on one computer! I got to capture the packets, inspect them, see what was happening, send him a message over the network, and kill his internet access for one month...all done from a remote computer at my home :) Behold the power!

I'm an OpenVMS System Manager working for eSpeed/Cantor Fitzgerald in NYC (I've been there almost 10 months). I've been doing  VMS since 1980 and alse know enough UNIX/Linux to be dangerous. :)

Most of my work on VMS still uses DCL and terminals, but I have installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL on some the VMS machines there so I can start using it in my work.

I tried to start my own Web Design/Hosting company, but my timing was wrong -- I started it just when the dot com boom went bust. :(

I still have a few clients that I keep satisfied.

Ken

I started my own web development company up back in Jan 2005 (with an actual office, not from home) and have since been doing that every day. I mainly provide all of the dynamic functionality and more advanced interactivity for a handful of other web design companies, so they design the site, send it to me, and I make it do everything they want - I like it this way as I get to spend my time doing what I like, coding, and not having to deal with the end client, which I don't enjoy doing really. Although I do have a small amount of clients that a manage fully, I much prefer my other work where I do projects for other companies where you can talk to them about the features and possible solutions without them looking at you as though you're speaking another language!

As the saying goes, 'Don't have all of your eggs in one basket', I have also started a web marketing company a couple of months back. Where I just sell other companies products, or get visitors onto the companies site via the affiliate marketing model. This is more of an 'on the side / evenings and weekends' company though and currently does not take up a lot of my time, I can set up a site and leave it to work its magic with just a tweak here and there to optimise traffic.

I'm also in the process of starting up an online shop, selling audio visual accessories. This again won't be taking up too much of my time, as I will be taking some people on to take care of the finances, stock control and order forfillment and I'll "just" be taking care of the web site build and maintenance and general day to day running of the company.

Most of my time is taken up by my main business though, the web development company, I almost allways have a good number of projects on, and lined up to be worked on. Although I think I'd have a problem if I woke up one day to find that the internet has imploded having 3 purely web based businesses!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.