Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomfmason

simple mysql problem

lol. I feel dumb for even asking this but I am  ??? at this point.

ok here we go. I am attempting to insert some information into a database.(php 101 all over again)

here is the code

[code=php:0]$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO chat (first_name, last_name, email, department, status, chat_date, chat_time, chat_text, from)
       VALUES ('$first_name', '$last_name', '$email', '$department', '$status', now(), now(), '$chat_text', '$from')") or die(mysql_error());[/code]

This is the mysql error that I get.

[code]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'from) VALUES ('testguy', 'test', 'test3@test1.com', 'Support', 'waiting'' at line 1[/code]

I am sure that this is a simple error but it is hanging me up. When I erase  [b]from[/b] from the query, it inserts just fine.

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks,
tom 

because "from" is a keyword, mysql is acting up on it. try to surround it with backticks(`), or just change the column to a different name.

ok thanks. I knew it was something simple..lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.