Not a difficult a Problem - - - I don't think

kenwvs

I have a form, written in html, with PHP for validation and had it all working.  I wanted to change the appearance of the form, and had to change a few things and now I have one small problem.

When there is an error in one of the form fields, it is suppose to highlight in red, so you know which fields to correct.  It was working, but now that I have changed the form outlay, and had to remove a > from the code, it is giving me an error instead.  Any ideas on what I need to do to correct this.

Here is the code that was working (a couple of lines anyways)
[code]
<form method="POST" action="uploadtrial.php">
<table>
<tr>
    <td valign="top" <?php if(in_array('id',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>> User ID:</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="id" size="12" value="<?php echo  disp_val('id') ?>"><br>
    You must use the <span class="bold">same User ID</span> for all items you are uploading during this session.(It does not have to be your regular username.)</td>
</tr>
<tr>
    <td <?php if(in_array('item_title',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>>  Item Title:</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="item_title" size="60" value="<?php echo  disp_val('item_title'); ?>"</td>
</tr>
<tr>
    <td <?php if(in_array('item_category',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>>Item Category:</td> //line with change
    <td> <select size="1" name="item_category">
        <?php disp_options($categories,'item_category','',true) ?>
          </select>
          <? if (isset($err_msg['item_category'])) echo '&nbsp;<span
          class="error">' . $err_msg['item_category'] . '</span>'; ?>
          </td></p>
</tr>
[/code]

Here is the same code that doesn't work (again, a couple of lines)
[code]
<div><?php if(in_array('id',$err)) echo 'class="error"';?>User ID:  //line with change
  <input type="text" name="id2" size="12" value="<?php echo  disp_val('id') ?>" />
  <span class="small">You must use the </span><span class="style1">same User ID</span><span class="small"> for
  all items you are uploading during this session.(It does not have to be your
  regular username.)</span></div><br />
<div><?php if(in_array('item_title',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>Item Title:
<input type="text" name="item_title" size="60" value="<?php echo  disp_val('item_title') ?>" />
<?php if(in_array('item_category',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>&nbsp;Item Category:
<select size="1" name="item_category">
</select>
class="error">' . $err_msg['item_category'] . '</span>'; ?></p>
</div> <br />
[/code]

I *think* this should work :)

[code]
<div <?php if(in_array('id',$err)) echo 'class="error"';?>>User ID:  //line with change
  <input type="text" name="id2" size="12" value="<?php echo  disp_val('id') ?>" />
  <span class="small">You must use the </span><span class="style1">same User ID</span><span class="small"> for
<div <?php if(in_array('item_title',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>>Item Title:
<input type="text" name="item_title" size="60" value="<?php echo  disp_val('item_title') ?>" /></div>
<div <?php if(in_array('item_category',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>>&nbsp;Item Category:
</select>
</div> <br />[/code]

Well atleast that's how i think it should be :)

Regards
Liam

I am having troubles figuring out what change you have made, other than adding a > in here echo 'class="error"';?>[b][color=red]>[/color][/b]User ID:  which I did have in the original and removed.  When I have it there now, it shows on the form....

Am I missing something here...

Thanks,

Ken

You are missing some semicolons at the end of php statements.  You code reads:

[quote]<?php echo  disp_val('id') ?> [/quote]
should read:
[quote]<?php echo  disp_val('id')[color=red];[/color] ?> [/quote]
--you have other statements missing semicolons

When you have only one statement between the opening "<?php" and closing "?>" the terminating semi-colon is not needed.
This line [code]<?php echo "anything" ?>[/code] is fine.

The problem lies in the fact when there is an error the attribute [color=red]class="error"[/color] is not within a tag and will probably just display on the screen. It needs to be within a tag of some sort. Here your best bet is to put it wiithin a <span> tag:
[code]
<div><span <?php if(in_array('id',$err)) echo 'class="error"';?>>User ID:</span>  //line with change
<div><span <?php if(in_array('item_title',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>>Item Title:</span>
<input type="text" name="item_title" size="60" value="<?php echo  disp_val('item_title') ?>" />
<?php if(in_array('item_category',$err)) echo 'class="error"'; ?>&nbsp;Item Category:
</select>
</div> <br />[/code]
When there is no error, then the <span> tag doesn't do anything.

Ken

Thanks Ken.  I didn't see the other solution as correct, as I couldn't see how it would make the difference.  I am real close to having this working, and am getting quite excited.  One more hurdle  to overcome, and I think I will be there.

Thanks again,

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.