New site, altered design, btcartoons.com

koolaidman52

I posted my website about a month ago , back then I was in preparation for a move to a real domian, now I have it now. I changed a bit from the last time, heeding suggestions
and I was wondering what you guys think of my design. 
Also please check out the cartoon database, what you guys thought about that?

[url=http://btcartoons.com]http://btcartoons.com[/url]

My initial feeling of the site was pretty good, I like your design and the colors that you used.

Home:
- Seems good to me

Cartoons:
- What's with the bad background images, they just look messy. Just put a heading on each of the sections to say whos work they are.
- Very messed up in FireFox (footer)

Art:
- I don't know...I wouldn't call that art

Cartoon Database:
- It looks like a totally different site. Try and skin your forum so that it looks like your regular site

Circle Question:
- Looks fine

Ye Olde News:
- Why don't you make your own news script?

It is a good start but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. Stick with your main design and bring that through to the other parts of your site.

-Chris

I went ahead and heeded what you siad, everything has the same style now. the carrtoon database is still a bit diferent as far as dimensions etc, but it still has the same look.

The cartoons divs are fixed and look exponentially better.

As far as making my own news thing I'm pretty happy with what I have, since it's not a blog i don't really care about what it does as far as design and archival, I just want to be able to display the latest news, and I'm toying with the idea of taking off the "ye olde news" link altogether.

I am still open to more critiquing.

I'd suggest changing the colours you use for links.  The link colour, and in some cases the hover colour, is much too difficult to read.

The body text would be easier to read if you increased the line-height (say to 150%).  You might be surprised at how much difference that would make.

[quote]Be Aware that some of the toons are fairly large file (>3 MB,) and may take some time to begin to load. [/quote]
OK, so why not identify approximate file size in the link text, just so I'll know (that would be a trivial task if the list is generated by php automatically, otherwise open up NotePad and edit the page)

"The body text would be easier to read if you increased the line-height (say to 150%).  You might be surprised at how much difference that would make."

Jesus! so that's how all of those sweet loking sites do it. I've known about line height fr ages, i jst never knew how muc h of a difference it made.

Gratzi

[s]Ill do the file sizse thing later[/s],

in the mean time, anything else anyone? 

The navigation back out of the Cartoons database is very difficult. The image URL only brings me to index.php of teh forums.

Its just a little confusing. I would have the main navigation bar there - and for the database pages - put a second smaller horizontal nav under the main one.

-steve

I would have done it a little more subtly. I would have put the second Nav in the green div with smaller text with maybe a bold to show that it is a sub-nav menu.

Your add comments to the news needs a lot of integration.

Your red text and dashed border on the main home page are very distracting. The red text been particularly a bad colour in this instance.

Rgds,
steve

[quote]hey, im not suer how you did that, if you're a hacker please tell me what you did so i can fix the problem. [/quote]

Ha! Well you allow HTML characters in your posts! A person can put in javascript, or iframes or anything at all to deface your site and steal peoples sessions etc. Php code seems to be removed - so you might be ok on that front.

As for registering - it said my account had to be approved - but yet I could start a help topic.

Rgds,
Steve

well, i have a script that allows me to pick and coose who i allow to post(in case I just don't have a good feeling about a possible user), you still have the lowest level of userdom so you're not allowed to add/ edit articles except to the support forum. is there somehting i can do to not allow html in those posts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.