I think Karma is anti-developmental and really doesn't end up changing anything.
I have [b]-4[/b]! which I'll say without problem, because there isn't a reason for me to have it.
The Karma system doesn't work for a number of reasons:
-Someone who gets corrected can -Karma out of spite.
-Someone can just -Karma for spite, no reason.
-There's no way to change a habit or develop.
-The people who are helped can't +Karma because they're new.

What you need is a "Resolved" mod which allows you to give credit to the people who helped you.

you know, everybody seems focused on looking at the bad aspects of the karma system. I'm fairly certain that the karma system was built with something good in mind; that is, to give credit where credit is due.  Sometimes I know an answer instantly, and sometimes I spend hours trying to find a solution for someone. The very least I should get in return is some kind of recognition.  Is the karma system flawed? yes it is.  If you can figure out a more balanced form of it, then hell, I will write the mod and submit it myself. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.