Digital Clocks?

cs.punk

Its not stupid! i bet many people dont know! You cant make something measure 'time' itself. Its needs to measure a certain something... And i already went to the above link but it became so so un-english lol.

In short: these clocks count the vibrations of quartz crystal. Quartz crystal has this special quality, that when you pass the electric current through it, it starts to vibrate with certain frequency. This frequency is constant (when certain conditions are met). Because we know the frequency (let's say it's 16kHz), we can count the vibrations and say when one second has passed (after 16000 cycles).

I don't think it was a stupid question, despite the fact some of us know the answer, not everyone does, hence why he asked the question. Frankly, as an administrator you should probably have the skill set to identify when a question is stupid or not, it seems as if you have misjudged this one. Deleting this thread when it was posted in miscellaneous would have been the stupidest admin decision ever, if only because of the content of the other topics in this forum.

Thank you for that amazing shot of intellect, my good friend ILMV!  Allow me to promote you so that you can make all the correct decisions for this board!

My point was that it was asked on a misc board in a PHP forum.  It's called "Google".  I bet you could find the answer to that question and just about every other question in the misc board in less than 5 minutes.

Don't give me that crap, yes Google exists, but if you can get all the answers off of Google why would this forum exist. And yes I know his question was relatively simple so the chances of him finding the answer is going to be pretty high anyway, but if you felt like that why didn't you just say that in your first post, rather than ridiculing him with your facetious comments.

If I posted "go search google" (and that would be the polite version) everytime someone posted a stupid question around here, that is about the only thing I would ever post. I like to "mix it up".

Furthermore... this is a programming community. Look at 90% of the other posts in this board: streaming, server suggestions, good programming books, programming methodology. You wouldn't to a cooking forum and asking how to parse a text file, would you?

:P :P :P :P

If I posted "go search google" (and that would be the polite version) everytime someone posted a stupid question around here, that is about the only thing I would ever post. I like to "mix it up".

Furthermore... this is a programming community. Look at 90% of the other posts in this board: streaming, server suggestions, good programming books, programming methodology. You wouldn't to a cooking forum and asking how to parse a text file, would you?

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Topics that do not fall into all of the other forums. You can have personal discussions here about the weather, your car, your dog or whatever.. Have fun :)

Sure it's a PHP forum.

Stupid questions form bright people in anyway :D

It's like a kid asking why the moon is'nt always full, would you tell him to google it too?

When I was little I always thought another planet was blocking the view of the moon and thats why you could not see it lol :P :P :P

Don't give me that crap, yes Google exists, but if you can get all the answers off of Google why would this forum exist. And yes I know his question was relatively simple so the chances of him finding the answer is going to be pretty high anyway, but if you felt like that why didn't you just say that in your first post, rather than ridiculing him with your facetious comments.

First 5 things I checked on Google gave me the same detailed explanation of how Digital Clocks work.  I think a little effort and he could have gotten the answer himself.

It's like a kid asking why the moon is'nt always full, would you tell him to google it too?

Sure, why not?  Besides, it will teach him how to figure things out on his own.

Unless (s)he happens to wander on to Flat Earth Society's site...

That website is the most ridiculous site ever.

Q: "There's no way the government could possibly guard the entire Ice Wall!  It would take too many men!  Millions of men!"

A: Not really. You could do it with a few hundred men and some basic equipment.  But even so there's no reason to assume the Ice Wall is guarded; the harsh conditions of the region make it very difficult to reach anyway.

Oh really? Then why is it they're having trouble guarding the Afghan-Pakistani border, which is considerably smaller than the alleged "Ice Wall", to prevent al-Qaeda from crossing?

Q: "If you're not sure about the motive, why do you say there is a conspiracy?"

A: Well it's quite simple really; if the Earth is in fact flat, then the space agencies must be lying when they say it isn't.

"If it is in fact"...? That's something YOU are saying. Easily countered by saying "If the Earth is in fact round, then you must be lying when you say it isn't."

I can't take shit like that serious. The Earth is cylindrical, and we're living on the top. Things don't fall off because the edge is surrounded by a gigantic ice wall, which isn't affected by global warming because it's actually just a mountain range covered by snow and ice. Nobody has ever seen this wall because world wide governmental conspirators are, for unknown reasons, guarding it using military force. GTFO.

I agree, I think we should leave it at that, before things get violent ;)

It happened. I'm here.  Things just got violent.  Crayon Violent.

Here's the bottom line: The misc board is technically for asking any question under the sun if you really want to.  But that doesn't mean you should.  If you're going to exhibit lack of common sense and post on a coding forum about something unrelated to coding, then you can expect a negative reaction.  Again, just because you can, doesn't mean you should

Ober did nothing wrong by pointing that out in his own way.  Whether his way was acceptable or not is a matter of opinion.  Everybody has different opinions on what constitutes an acceptable level of tactfulness.  It's awfully presumptuous of you to think that your way is the only or right way.  If anybody's way is the "right" way, it would be the person to whom the buck stops at.  And that person is, can you take a guess? The admin. 

You probably think of yourself as "the little guy" (no offense The Little Guy) standing up to "the man," but all you're really doing here is making yourself look like an ass.

::)

That's probably one of the most common arguments on forums. Well, perhaps you could even say that ad hominem is the most popular fallacy. "What you're saying is invalid because you're an authority". That's logical nonsense. Being an authority doesn't change the truth value of a statement. It's two completely irrelevant things, or a non sequitur if you wish.

Try again.

Fantastic use of your authority

All I see is someone mad because they got called out on their b.s. You gonna stomp your feet and hold your breath next? You're just another one of those people who think the best way to move up in life is to attack someone else and try to make out like they are failing at what they do.  People like that have no real skill of their own, which is why after they've wrongfully shafted someone else, they don't stick around very long, because you can only go so far before people realize you can't actually do anything. 

The only thing you have is a silver-tongue.  You rely on dazzling people with big words hoping they'll make the proverbial impulse buy, and scoot them out the door before they realize you suckered them.  That may work for you in your home/kindergarten life, but not around here.  Around here, people recognize that shit a mile away.  So all you're doing is showing yourself to be the immature ass that you are by trying to pull it, and even more laughable, trying to continue it.  Seriously, the only person you're fooling is yourself.

You are a social parasite, a virus, feeding off other people's work and talents because you don't really have any of your own.  Seriously, you should take yourself to a place that focuses on monetary gain.  They'd appreciate you more.  We don't make crap around here and the only people who stand to benefit from anything are the people coming for help.  So this "you guys are abusing your power, evil people blahblahblah" crap really doesn't work around here.  Go be a used car salesman.  They love people like you.

Well, you know, its my time of the month

Anything that bleeds for 5-7 days and doesn't die should be killed.  It may be a zombie.  Just remember that.

You think I'm playin' around about zombies.  That shit is gonna happen for real.  Some idiot scientist out there is gonna make some virus because he feels it is more important to find out whether it can be done than thinking about whether it should be done, and he's going to foolishly think it can be contained.  Or someone will steal it and use it for dastardly things.  And then the scientist will be like hey, it's not my fault, I just created it.  I'm not the one who used it.  Wtf kind of reasoning is that?  Fuck that noise.  I'd smite him twice.  Expose him to his own virus. I'd be like, "how do you like them apples?" Hopefully the virus will be named after an apple so that phrase would be all the more impressive.