Version control with PHP & MySQL

Webxplosion

Hi there,

I'm curious as to what kind of setup you guys use or have used to develop using version control, with a standard PHP & MySQL environment on a Windows and / or Linux server.

Also, what do you consider to be a good workflow to use, for a small company with say lass than 5 developers working on let's say 20 different PHP & MySQL projects.

Currently we're using no version control at all, we develop on a local windows server, and we simply upload via FTP when it's done  :o

Any comments, suggestions, do's, dont's and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, can you describe your workflow when developping a PHP & MySQL project with subversion?

And does it also cover changes in database structure, in such way that you can create an "update.php" file for example to convert to a new version on your live server?

Thanks, can you describe your workflow when developping a PHP & MySQL project with subversion?

And does it also cover changes in database structure, in such way that you can create an "update.php" file for example to convert to a new version on your live server?

Pretty much just like subversion manual describes: checkout, make your changes, update, resolve conflicts if any, commit...

For database structure I just export it to SQL file and commit that.

For database structure I just export it to SQL file and commit that.

There are two problems with that approach though:

1) The other team members might find it annoying having to loose all the data all the time.

2) You end up stepping on other people's toes. What if you and another team member wants to change a particular table at the same time?

• 4 months later...

Can anybody describe this process / workflow in in layman’s terms?

To explain: we currently just have .php files on a local server that has filesharing enabled... we develop there and just make sure we don't edit the same file at the same time... then we test locally, and we upload via ftp...

How would this process change when we implement, let's say subversion?

- Do we still have our files stored on the local server with filesharing enabled?

- If so, where are the new versions stored? From where do we upload?

- Do we even upload via ftp or will this be replaced by some neat subversion option?

I'm quite surprised to say that I haven't found any proper (being: simple) tutorials about how to start using subversion from the PHP developers perspective. I'm sure more ppl have found the transition from 1 on 1 development, to version control development somewhat hard to grasp ;)

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.