Package a HTML website

ober

So until my company puts our help information online (a few months), one facet of our product has an offline set of HTML files (starting with an index file and then a few levels of folders and other html files) that I'd like to package and send to our customers.  I tried PDFing it, but it doesn't look great (doesn't carry over some of the styling).  I tried putting it in a CHM format, but that removes all the styling. 

My last option is to either just zip up the whole thing and send it that way unless someone else here has a better idea.

So... thoughts?

Ben, if you want to use pdf, check out the firefox extension PDFit. Pretty cool little extension.

Unless of course that is the method you already tried, but I've used it for screenshots and it creates the jpgs perfect.

No, I created it using Adobe.  Looking at that though, it looks like it doesn't traverse through the whole site, just the page you are on?

I seem to remember that CHM has support for CSS... Even JavaScript...

Maybe you can direct me to a better tool to build the CHM file then?

Ben, if you want to use pdf, check out the firefox extension PDFit. Pretty cool little extension.

Unless of course that is the method you already tried, but I've used it for screenshots and it creates the jpgs perfect.

No, I created it using Adobe.  Looking at that though, it looks like it doesn't traverse through the whole site, just the page you are on?

I seem to remember that CHM has support for CSS... Even JavaScript...

Maybe you can direct me to a better tool to build the CHM file then?

I think you are correct, but how many pages do you have to create?  You could create the pages individually and then combine them with acrobat.  That could be time consuming though if there are many pages.

@Mchl: I guess there is more to it then pointing an index or folder at this thing and generating the CHM, eh? It might be too much work to redo everything using this tool.

@ Jeff, there are over 200 pages at this point and many of them span more than one "PDF page".  That would kind of suck.

I was using it to translate chm's from one language to another. Never tried to create a CHM from scratch... As far as I remember it wasn't all that bad. Had some quirks (it's made in Redmont, duh), but once I undestood those, I could work pretty fast. Can't recall if I could add multiple source files at once... I think I could...

I basically want something that will work like Adobe to just take the index file and recursively go down the tree and wrap it up into a nice little package with search and index functions.  I'm guessing it doesn't exist without more work than that.

Oh well, this will all be online in a better format soon anyways.

Nope... my company has a hosted software product that has collaboration tools (workgroups, contacts, calendars, file manager, etc) so I'm just going to post it in a global workgroup that the people that need the information can get to.

The thing that sucks is that we have a "website" portion to the collaboration tools, but it is broken and it's low on the priority list of things that will be fixed.

I think your best bet is to use a site-ripping software to download the site and archive it up and send it out that way.

Given that you tried the pdf etc, that would be the next "best" thing. But you cannot do a search on this, like you want.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.