[SOLVED] Syntax Issue (Probably Easy)

hoopplaya4

I'm having some difficulty with the Syntax on this statement:

<?php 
$data = mysql_query("UPDATE profilePics SET def='0' WHERE filename= (SELECT filename FROM profilePics WHERE usrID='$usrID' AND def='1'")) or die(mysql_error());

I get the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')'

What am I doing wrong here?  Thanks!

$data = mysql_query("UPDATE profilePics SET def='0' WHERE filename= (SELECT filename FROM profilePics WHERE usrID='$usrID' AND def='1'")) or die(mysql_error();

All you have to do is count.  The "or die" part never gets passed to mysql_query().

Thanks for the reply Ober, I tried your example verbatim, and I'm still getting the same syntax error.  So this time, I tried removing the or die altogether:

<?php
$data = mysql_query("UPDATE profilePics SET def='0' WHERE filename= (SELECT filename FROM profilePics WHERE usrID='$usrID' AND def='1'"));

And with this one, I am still getting the same error as well.  :-\

Thanks for the help mrMarcus.  This has certainly cured my syntax issue!!

But, I'm now getting the following MySQL error:

You can't specify target table 'profilePics' for update in FROM clause

I'm not sure what this means off-hand.  If anyone does, that'd be great.  Otherwise, I'm gonna see what I can find.  Thanks again!

basically it means you can't do a subquery selecting data from the same table you are updating.  To get around it, you have to create a temp table and/or temp vars.  I don't personally know how to write that for you; that's beyond my sql knowledge.  I'll move this to the sql forum where you'll get a more specific answer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.