How many of you people code without an editor?

PugJr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to waste your time then it's fine by me. I just think it's stupid. Either way, you'll always be coding with an editor. Notepad is also an editor, albeit a crap editor. It doesn't even understand UNIX line breaks, nor does it have automatic indentation, syntax highlighting, bracket matching, etc. It cannot open huge files either. It'll simply freeze on large files where other editors open them instantly.

Same thing as I said in the last 100 threads about the same thing:

All I care about is remote editing and syntax highlighting.  folding up blocks of code is a nice add-on, but not necessary.  beyond that, it's all fluff to me, and I usually end up getting lost and frustrated.  If uber pimp IDE's get you off, then go for it.  Not judging. Just saying, it's not for me.

I also like having code completion and code hints (haystack or needle first, anyone?). I also like when editors point out syntax errors like word processors point out spelling errors. I also like being able to Ctrl+Click (or something similar) on a non-built-in method, class or function to go to its definition. I like built-in debugging, profiling and possibly support for something like PHPUnit.

Sure, I could code in Notepad (or something slightly more advanced than that like Gedit or Notepad++), but I much prefer an IDE. For minor edits on Windows I'll use Notepad++ and either Gedit or Vim on Linux, but only for minor edits.

To boot, it's not like all IDE's cost money. There are free ones out there (my favorite is NetBeans). So with those kind of IDE's at your disposal, I wouldn't see much point in using text editors (assuming money is supposed to be a driving determinant to resorting to those).

Heh, well I guess 0% of you guys do?

I could confidently say that any user with a banner under their name doesn't use something like notepad as their main editor. It's inefficient - Why make things hard on yourself when it costs nothing to make it easier?

then I can think about it running in my mind running without bugs.

Did you patch your mind somehow? Because mine segfaults whenever I do division by zero by accident. Thing get nasty then. I don't know if I can hide any more bodies in my basement.

That's one thing I've never managed to patch.

(Why is it a calculator can divide by zero (mine returns the full value) but computers (even now after many years of technoevolution) cannot divide by zero?)

A calculator is a computer  :P

(Why is it a calculator can divide by zero (mine returns the full value) but computers (even now after many years of technoevolution) cannot divide by zero?)

Your calculator is broken if it returns a numerical value for a division by zero. It's undefined, so it's an invalid operation. If you think about it, then dividing by zero doesn't make any sense.

You do not divide x cakes any times between no people. How many cakes does each person get? That's x/0. It doesn't make any sense. That's of course a non-mathematical way of rationalizing it. A more mathematical way of saying it would be that multiplication and division are inverse operations, i.e. bx=a <=> a/b=x (where a and b are constants and x is a variable). Now, if b=0 then 0*x=a, right? So if a=0, then any x is the solution to the equation, but if a!=0 then there is no solution. Either way we cannot give a definite solution for b=0, thus division by zero is undefined.

What exactly does your calculator claim is the result of a division by zero? You cannot just define a value because that would go against certain axioms and thus your math would be incompatible with mainstream mathematics.

your calculator can't divide by zero any more than your computer can.  Think of it displaying the original number as its custom error message.

My calculator can divide by zero, but alast I got it from Bed, Bath and Beyond. The secrets to dividing by zero are not to be taken lightly as they reveal the truth about the world. You figure out how to divide by zero, then you understand the world and "reality" in full. In essence you become Neo from the Matrix. That is how he learned the truth.

:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.