How many of you people code without an editor?

PugJr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to take programming tests in college with pen and paper, pretty strange. 

Yeah, so did I.  In fact, there were only a few classes we actually used a computer in class.  It didn't really matter because everyone brought their laptops to class.

I had to take programming tests in college with pen and paper, pretty strange. 

Yeah... I had to hand-write like 3kB of Pascal code on one exam :D I didn't mind actually, but I pitied the people who were checking these XD

Back in my day we used a chizel and stone. Man those were the good old days :) That was the "Psuedo-Code" days.

But yea, I always hated writing out code. It is like dude why not let me write it out on the computer, come on now. So I always made my handwriting sloppy and wrote the code the most inefficient way I could think of and made a note, "Yes, it is inefficient. But I felt it was suitable given the manner you were having me write the code."

:) My teachers all liked me though, so they just thought I was being funny, when I was dead serious.

What's wrong with notepad++? How does an IDE help coding in css/html/php become more efficient? Notepad++ has more than enough features.

Someone docked notepad++ I thought it was just notepad? (Maybe I missed a post of someone dissing NP++)

Notepad++ is a great utility, it lacks for big projects but works for simple scripting. Notepad is just a bonehead move, grow up and join the world of syntax highlighting.

What's wrong with notepad++? How does an IDE help coding in css/html/php become more efficient? Notepad++ has more than enough features.

First that comes to my mind. Since I moved to NetBeans, I did not encounter "Unexpected T_WHATEVER" error. Why? IDE marks them in red while in editor.

A large portion of the topics posted on this forum can be solved by simply pasting the code into NetBeans, to see where are the missing semicolons/quotes/brackets

First that comes to my mind. Since I moved to NetBeans, I did not encounter "Unexpected T_WHATEVER" error. Why? IDE marks them in red while in editor.

A large portion of the topics posted on this forum can be solved by simply pasting the code into NetBeans, to see where are the missing semicolons/quotes/brackets

I hate netbeans for PHP, I can't figure it out...

I don't know how to:

a. Create a PHP Web Project

b. Connect to FTP

How does an IDE help coding in css/html/php become more efficient?

In addition to what what Mchl just mentioned, efficiency in IDEs (such as NetBeans) comes in the form of not having to type in every single character for stuff that is offered through built in (and customizable) code snippet macros. type 'cls' then hit tab dumps an empty class, with the cursor already in position for the user to type in the class name for example...Other additional functionality includes 'iter' + tab for a for loop, 'fore' + tab for a foreach loop, etc.. While such examples isn't 'earth shatteringly efficient', it does save on some typing. When I frequently want to output the contents in an array (for debugging purposes), I already have a custom macro bound to a key that simply spits out an echo line containing a <pre> tag and print_r (again, with the cursor waiting in the right spot to simply type in the array name and off you go).

I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceburg, but definitely, IDE's can make things easier. Anything that saves time is a bonus (and thus leans towards efficiency) in my books.

I hate netbeans for PHP, I can't figure it out...

I don't know how to:

a. Create a PHP Web Project

b. Connect to FTP

While I never used its FTP system, projects are easy. For me, I already have my htdocs with the site code / content in it. Simply click on 'New Project', then click on PHP from the lefthand panel in the pop-up, and select 'PHP Application with existing Sources' from the righthand panel. After clicking next, simply nagivate to the htdocs folder, and done.

Yeah, code completion (which I am assuming is common among IDEs). I was referring to code snippet macros with bindable keyboard shortcuts. COmes in very handy IMO.

EDIT- Granted, to each his own.. I would be hard pressed to find an IDE out there that suites everyone. Pick your weapon of choice that you are most comfortable and suites your needs and go with it.

While I never used its FTP system, projects are easy. For me, I already have my htdocs with the site code / content in it. Simply click on 'New Project', then click on PHP from the lefthand panel in the pop-up, and select 'PHP Application with existing Sources' from the righthand panel. After clicking next, simply nagivate to the htdocs folder, and done.

And while creating a new project you also have an option to create an FTP connection for it. For existing project right click it in project manager, and select Properties -> Run Configuration

I loathe code completion features.  Maybe I just suck at using them, but I swear, every time it's turned on in whatever program I'm in, it always ends up at best distracting me with the constant popup, at worst, auto-completing what I'm typing with something other than what I want.

Yeah, I don't make heavy usage of code completion but admittedly, it comes in handy at times (for me anyway) when for example I might not be sure what the order of parameters are... so if I find myself unsure, I make use of the code completion to see what the parameter order is and go from there. So while that feature sees action from time to time, it isn't heavily used by any stretch.

Thankfully, code completion in my case doesn't occur until I hit ctrl + space to invoke it.. otherwise, I am free to type away without any completion obstructions.

Well, I installed NetBeans and after a little "friendly persuasion" I got my main project into it and I'm loving it. Kinda feels like being at work except at home I'm dual WS TFT and work I'm dual screen but 1xCRT and 1xTFT.

Nice being able to navigate so easily on the left pane without having to traverse back and forwards through folders and windows!

I loathe code completion features.  Maybe I just suck at using them, but I swear, every time it's turned on in whatever program I'm in, it always ends up at best distracting me with the constant popup, at worst, auto-completing what I'm typing with something other than what I want.

No truer words said. I can type it 100 times quicker than that damn popup screwing me up. I also generally know the parameters required. Auto-completion is just a big joke for kids who are just taking the school class who do not want to program.

Or horrible typers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.