[SOLVED] Error 10060

T-Bird

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'MyExternalIP' (10060) in C:\wamp\www\smith\MySQLTEST.php on line 2

I have a site, hosted on my bluehost account which I would like to have reference the database on my local server.  Please note the database is not on the remote site, the one hosted by bluehost, that the end-user connects too.  I am logging in with a user account that accepts any host (host is set to %).

It wasn't working so I made a streamlined file that contains only the necessary code for testing, and this also does not work.

<?php
$con = mysql_connect('MyExternalIP','UserName','Password');
mysql_error($con);
?>

My routers ports are opened correctly, as proven by canyouseeme.org.

I'm currently under the default WAMP configuration except I changed Apache to port 880 - I doubt that makes a difference here.

Is there a setting I have to have turned on locally in order to allow external connections?  Is there a setting I have to have my webhost turn on in order to allow retrieval from external databases?

Which sticky, the one about php not being able to find the function?  Or did I look at the wrong sticky?

At any rate, I'm convinced that it must be a configuration error as I'm using WAMP, and have very little idea of how to configure MySQL.  I originally had this problem on another computer running WAMP at the office, decided to see if I get the same problem on my home machine - I do.  So far as I can tell they are running under the same - seemingly faulty - configuration.  One difference is that the office computer was returning a MySQL error 111.

Since I think it may be a configuration error, if it helps, here are all the uncommented lines of my my.ini file

[client]
port		= 3306
socket		= /tmp/mysql.sock

[wampmysqld]
port		= 3306
socket		= /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
basedir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.1.33
log-error=c:/wamp/logs/mysql.log
datadir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.1.33/data

skip-federated

log-bin=mysql-bin

binlog_format=mixed

server-id	= 1

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 20M
sort_buffer_size = 20M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[myisamchk]
key_buffer = 20M
sort_buffer_size = 20M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

[mysqld]
port=3306

I'm using MySQL version 5.1.

GAH!!!! I knew it was something stupid.

Sorry all.  I'm running the server on WAMP under windows XP Home (not an ideal situation, but it's temporary) and while I opened up my router, I forgot to unblock the port on my software firewall!

Thx for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.