session id's

Ninjakreborn

Ok I know everything I need to know about basic sections, I already found out about having to use session_start();
and it having to be the first line, I found out about
session_register()
being deprecated, and that you should instead use
$_SESSION['variablename'] = "whatever here";
permanently instead of session register.
I know how to check to see if a session is registered.  I have a few quick questions now, what about session id's do I need to do anything with them, if so what.  Should I go ahead and just do it with cookies, or do you think I should use a database, can I still use a database, and have the same affect, I just basically need a few pointed fingers.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=101686.msg402613#msg402613 date=1153754755]
Ok I know everything I need to know about basic sections ... I have a few quick questions now, what about session id's do I need to do anything with them, if so what.  Should I go ahead and just do it with cookies, or do you think I should use a database, can I still use a database, and have the same affect, I just basically need a few pointed fingers.
[/quote]

The answers to the questions depend on what it is that you're trying to accomplish.  Care to rephrase your questions into some sort of context?

Alright
1. If I just go with straight original sessions.
I use session_start() at the top of every page, I set my sessions with the stuff I want.
At the top of each name below that I put if whatever and password protect the page, does session_start() set an id automatically.  basically is there anything at all I need to do to set an id, or to retrieve an id from a cookie, if I am just using standard cookies for the id's and files for hte session save locations.

2. Now if I decided to use databases, is it like an alternative to cookies, do they like save the session id's in the database, and the session information in the files, I was wanting sessions to save normally but maybe save session id's in a database, so people don't have to have cookies enabled, because unfortunately a large part of our population doesn't use cookies.

3. If I store all session information in the database, and session id then is there anything special I need to keep in mind, or anything extra I have to do to retrieve session information

4.  if I can and do store teh sessions in a file, and hte id's in a database, do I need to do anything more to retrieve the session id from teh database than I would need to do to retrieve it from a cookie

5.  Which is better/easier/more secure.

[quote]1. If I just go with straight original sessions.
I use session_start() at the top of every page, I set my sessions with the stuff I want.
At the top of each name below that I put if whatever and password protect the page, does session_start() set an id automatically.  basically is there anything at all I need to do to set an id, or to retrieve an id from a cookie, if I am just using standard cookies for the id's and files for hte session save locations.[/quote]
sessions_start generates a session id automatically, if one hasnt been set. It wil also automaitcally resume a session if the session id is still valid.

If you want to store your sessions within a database you have to create your own [url=http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-save-handler.php]session handler[/url], quite complex if you are starting with sessions. However the defualt behavior of a session is fine.

Alright then I will go with the standard way for now, after I do a few sites using that, and get a little more well rounded, then I will start working on dealing with things afterwards.  And trying to do what I can about starting setting up my own Session Handling, this project isn't paying enough, and I need the basics, before I can jump to intermediate and advanced sessions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.