mysql server connection problem

GraemeK

Hi,

I\'m using the mysql windows program on windows 2000 to access my linux\'s mysql database on RH9. when i try to connect i get a:

[custard] ERROR 1130: Host \'w2k.cream-cake.com\' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

now i see a few posts mentioning GRANT tables and setting permissions but i\'m using RH9 and i dont need a password to enter mysql, i just press enter. i tried setting permissions on test databases in the past this way and screwed mysql right up! it wouldnt even let me access it from the localhost (on linux) kept saying access denied ! and this was for root!!!! i dont want to set a password as i\'m happy having it open...

i need a way to allow my windows host (w2k.cream-cake.com) to access the DB on RH 9 without screwing up mysql?

thanks

I\'m having the same problem that you had in the past; no more access to my mysql from root.

Before having this problem, I had a similar problem than the one you have now; phpBB2 was not able to open the database. I then run the -p \'mypassword\' option and its now screwed up !

well with reagrds to phpbb not being able to access the DB you need to assign a username and pass to the blank DB you create.

i used the mysql_setpermission program and then phpbb worked fine!!!

i just want to be able to administor a DB from a windows environment

G

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.