pass/append variable to url

tomjones

Hi.

If for example I have a variable, foo, which creates a random number,how can I pass this variable to an html page and append it to a url.

An example of what I would like to achieve is:

www.domain.com/file.html&foo=145365432

where the user would see file.html and file.html would receive foo=145365432

I had a similar request not long ago but was unable to extrapolate from it. Thank you very much for your attention.

Well you add the variable to the user either by having a form with the action of get, or simply redirectiong the user to the page with the variable in the url, e.g.

header("location:page.php?var=12414");

However, unless your server is set up to pass html files like php, i dont think you are going to be able to retrieve the variable and its contents in your html page.

However, you do it like this:
$var = $_GET['var'];

You would need to pass the number as a post variable from a form.  For example:
User posts form with number to get_form.php.
get_form looks for $_POST['rand'].
user just sees get_form.php.  If you dont mind the number showing in the url, just have it $_GET instead of post and you wont need to post from a form, but rather file.php?foo=number

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.