GD not loaded though compiled, resulting in "Call to undefined function"

Hi,

My current php installation (version 4.3.9) was built with GD:

--with-gd=shared --enable-gd-native-ttf --without-gdbm

but when I try to use any GD functions I get:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  imagefontheight()

GD is installed on my system (Linux Centos 4.3), as indicated by yum, and by the fact that Webmin uses it.

I have tried loading it as an extension, by including the line
extension=libgd.so
in a file inside /etc/php.d, but it does not find that library. If I link /usr/lib/php4/libgd.so to the actual library file in /usr/lib/libgd.so.2, then it complains that the file is not a php extension library.

I don't know what else to do, or what can be wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

get_loaded_extensions() gives:
Array
(
    \[0] => yp
    [1] => xml
    [2] => wddx
    [3] => tokenizer
    [4] => sysvshm
    [5] => sysvsem
    [6] => standard
    [7] => sockets
    [8] => shmop
    [9] => session
    [10] => pspell
    [11] => posix
    [12] => pcre
    [13] => overload
    [14] => mime_magic
    [15] => iconv
    [16] => gmp
    [17] => gettext
    [18] => ftp
    [19] => exif
    [20] => dio
    [21] => dbx
    [22] => dba
    [23] => curl
    [24] => ctype
    [25] => calendar
    [26] => bz2
    [27] => bcmath
    [28] => zlib
    [29] => openssl
    [30] => apache2handler
    [31] => mysql
)

The complete ./configure options for php were:

./configure --build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --cache-file=../config.cache --with-config-file-path=/etc --with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d --enable-force-cgi-redirect --disable-debug --enable-pic --disable-rpath --enable-inline-optimization --with-bz2 --with-db4=/usr --with-curl --with-exec-dir=/usr/bin --with-freetype-dir=/usr --with-png-dir=/usr --with-gd=shared --enable-gd-native-ttf --without-gdbm --with-gettext --with-ncurses=shared --with-gmp --with-iconv --with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-openssl --with-png --with-pspell --with-xml --with-expat-dir=/usr --with-dom=shared,/usr --with-dom-xslt=/usr --with-dom-exslt=/usr --with-xmlrpc=shared --with-pcre-regex=/usr --with-zlib --with-layout=GNU --enable-bcmath --enable-exif --enable-ftp --enable-magic-quotes --enable-sockets --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-track-vars --enable-trans-sid --enable-yp --enable-wddx --with-pear=/usr/share/pear --with-imap=shared --with-imap-ssl --with-kerberos --with-ldap=shared --with-mysql=shared,/usr --with-pgsql=shared --with-snmp=shared,/usr --with-snmp=shared --enable-ucd-snmp-hack --with-unixODBC=shared,/usr --enable-memory-limit --enable-shmop --enable-calendar --enable-dbx --enable-dio --enable-mbstring=shared --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --enable-mbregex --with-mime-magic=/usr/share/file/magic.mime --with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs

Are you sure your configure went ok? Did you tee the configure and make processes and check for errors? Are you sure you ran [tt]make install[/tt] if you happen to be upgrading? (I've forgotten this before.) Where is [tt]libgd.so[/tt] located?

Well, I don't know if the configure went ok, because it was done by the company hosting my server. I think they have a standard image that they copy to new servers, so they probably did not compile php directly on my server. And in fact, they probably never compiled it anywhere, but installed it from a binary distribution (with 'yum install php').

Regarding the location of libgd.so, these are the files I found:
/usr/lib/libgd.so.2
/usr/lib/libgd.so
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2
/usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2.0.0

of which /usr/lib/libgd.so and /usr/lib/libgd.so.2 are links to /usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.0

Any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.