Want Critique on New Site

mikesta707

Hey, I recently made a new site aimed at Bassists, and musicians in general. If anyone would give me some feed back on its overall look and feel i would greatly appreciate it. Everything having to do with PHP was hand coded, so If you see any bugs with PHP please let me know also!

thank you!

EDIT: WOw im stupid. Here is the URL:

www.the-under-world.net

oh lord!!! Dam totally forgot to test in IE. That looks like IE7 or 8  can you tell me which it is? Gah.. it works perfectly fine in FF and Opera too... Thank you a lot for showing me that

EDIT: can you give me some info on your PC. what screen resolution are you using specifically. Does it look like that in different browsers for you? I just checked it out in my IE and it looks fine, so I think it might have something to do with your screen size.

Do you know any tips for any tutorials for making the CSS change based on screen size?

Those vertical lines give me a headache and the anime girl looks a bit too blurry, too much compression or a bad scaling algorithm?

Wont bother to try and validate the page as I spotted a <center> tag while inspecting the menu. <center> tags are a relic of the past and deprecated, don't use them!

And I have to ask.. why <dl><dt></dt></dl> for the menu instead of <ul><li></li></ul>, hardly a definition list.. not to mention that I'm quite sure a <dl> won't validate without any <dd> in it.

The image should probably have the entire text "Mega Bass Fuck Yeah!" in it for it to make sense.

Form at the top should use labels so they relate to the input fields.

http://www.the-under-world.net/index.php?id=discussion Woaw, what does the green text say? I can't read it at all.

http://www.the-under-world.net/index.php?id=learn What is this odd construction of elements used? <blockquote><dl><li>, well that's a new one to me.. garantueed not to validate though.

PS: Current 'big' anime bass playing character is K-on's Mio in case you care to look for a better quality image ;)

Those vertical lines give me a headache and the anime girl looks a bit too blurry, too much compression or a bad scaling algorithm?

Wont bother to try and validate the page as I spotted a <center> tag while inspecting the menu. <center> tags are a relic of the past and deprecated, don't use them!

And I have to ask.. why <dl><dt></dt></dl> for the menu instead of <ul><li></li></ul>, hardly a definition list.. not to mention that I'm quite sure a <dl> won't validate without any <dd> in it.

The image should probably have the entire text "Mega Bass Fuck Yeah!" in it for it to make sense.

Form at the top should use labels so they relate to the input fields.

http://www.the-under-world.net/index.php?id=discussion Woaw, what does the green text say? I can't read it at all.

http://www.the-under-world.net/index.php?id=learn What is this odd construction of elements used? <blockquote><dl><li>, well that's a new one to me.. garantueed not to validate though.

PS: Current 'big' anime bass playing character is K-on's Mio in case you care to look for a better quality image ;)

Ahh great advice! thanks! So change the dl's to ul's and dt's to li's. Got it. I'm gonna fix it now so I hope your still around to check it out again.

Yeah your definitely right about the green text... gonna change that too.

also thanks for the anime bass player chick!  have actually been lookin for a better quality image. I hope your still around in a few minutes, gonna be lookin for some new advice after i fix a few things

http://www.the-under-world.net/index.php?id=learn

Still a blockquote in there which doesn't make much sense, if you're not quoting something don't use a blockquote.

Still not too fond of the image at the top, the Mio's look skewed.

Ah yes the blockquote. forgot about that.

EDIT: KK I took out the blockquote. Thank you very much for your Advice!!! But you still don't like the header pic? I love the pick of the girl, especially the left one lol. If you have a better pic recommendation, let me know!

and do both of them look skewed? I know that the one on the right does, but the picture was pretty much like that to begin with.

Update. Can anyone review my discussion board/other related user functions (IE samples).

The Edit page for profile is unfinished yet, so clicking the edit profile link does not work.

your login credentials are

phpfreaks

password

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.