generalistic question about blank spacers in html

Ninjakreborn

[code] [/code]
This is something I have known for awhile, it helps me a lot, it does a lot for me.  When there is an element that continues to disappear when I leave nothing in it, for instance a colored block, this fills it with something making it visible, when I need to quickly indent text, this indents it for me, it has a lot of other nifty uses.  What I want to know is, what is it.  This whole time I saw it on some people's pages, I used it ever since, without really ever knowing what it is, what to call it, what it's true purpose is, if it was deprecated or not, or what.  I was wondering about this because it's been my friend for awhile, and it's time I found out who he was. S hould I stop using this or does everyone, is it deprecated, what is it exactly, can it be found on wikipedia somewhere if I figured out the name.

is the htmlentity (ASCII, i think) of a space. This is not depreciated. All characters has an ASCII equivilant. Most people use   to add in two or more spaces between words, as using a normal space will only work with 1 space, but not if there is 2 or more spaces directly after each other, as the browser ignores it.

[url=http://www.lookuptables.com/]This[/url] site shows all the ASCII values for most characters, look at the HTML coloumn for the last three columns.

Ok, I have seen this before but it's a little new.  As far as generalistically speaking, what would happen, if I started replacing every letter of every sentence with these, like in my text, because there is one for each letter, and number as well, is this good practice, I have never seen it used before, I also see some people just replace
'.,;/] or whatever symbols with those, but some people don't I never have
what is the best route for me to take with this ascii characters?

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=101795.msg403168#msg403168 date=1153836159]
generalistically speaking, what would happen, if I started replacing every letter of every sentence with these...[/quote]

'Generalistically' (or generally as most people would say), anyone viewing your code would think you were nuts.

I'd use ASCII equivalents only for symbols/special characters such as copyright, ampersand, pound, octothorpe, em-dash, en-dash, etc. etc.

You should only need to use the htmlentity for certain characters, such as triangler brackets (<>) to stop the browser from intepreting them, &nbsp; for placing two or more spaces between words/letters. &copy; to display the copyright symbol etc. You shouldn't use the ASCII value for letters, as there will be no reason to.

ah, thanks for the information/advice/grammer correction.  From now on I will say generally speaking.  Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for all the info on those different character types i am going to look up all those you mentioned andy, and see what they all mean, some of those i have never heard before.  Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.