Newbie on simple security setting

WildCard#!

Hi new to MySQL. Everything is a bit of a blur at the moment. Through time though hopefully I understand it. I installed the killer trio (Apache, PHP, MySQL) and seem to have done it with success. The problem I am facing at the moment is that it is about security on MySQL. I have set a root password and also set a password for my username. However I can still get in thorugh by using any made up usernames. Eg shell> mysql -h localhost -u BlahBlahwhateveretc and it accesses the MySQL Monitor. I have looked at the manual but does not explain clearly how to resolve this. I just want my 1 username with a password to access it and anything else to be denied, (apart from root of course).

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :D

Diamond, cheers I done it, much appreciated. I also found this in the manual somewhere.

DELETE FROM mysql.user WHERE user=\'username\' and host=\'hostname\';

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

However I had to do this instead

DELETE FROM mysql.user WHERE user=\'\';

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I deleted two records in the mysql table. Hopefully the one record wasn\'t that important. It had a NULL username and \"localhost\" as the host.

Maybe I\'ll find out down the line. :?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.