Which Linux System?

DEVILofDARKNESS

Hi,

I really want to have Linux.

My question is which one do I choose?

-I want to just be able to choose on the startup between linux or windows

-Most likely a linux distribution which has a lot of references, for help, ...

-Compatible with as many as possible programs.

Thanks in advance!

-I want to just be able to choose on the startup between linux or windows

Just make it dual boot and you should be fine

-Most likely a linux distribution which has a lot of references, for help, ...

For the few linux distros I tried I liked Ubuntu to most. There is tons of information to find online but haven't really spend enough time on the other distributions to give an good insight.

-Compatible with as many as possible programs.

There are a couple of ways to still run window programs here is a couple of ways:

1. wine

2. dosbox for old classical dos games

3. run virtualization software

4. just start windows

So I have to run everytime that (live) CD to have Ubuntu, and I can't choose on the startup?

When you burn it to a CD, boot your computer with the CD. The installation will start. If you already have windows installed it will allow you to create a dual boot.

I think ubuntu is a great choice for a desktop system.  It is really the distro aiming to make the linux desktop more user friendly and allow people to do just about everything from the GUI.  If your goal is to really learn more about linux I find you may want to play with some other distros.  Slackware is said to be the most "unix like" and has been around for quite some time.  I had a slackware box set up when I was really trying to learn more about .nix environments.

I would say the easiest to add new packages to are Fedora (rpms) and Ubuntu

I disagree on the Fedora part. CentOS also uses Yum and RPMs, and I think it's inferior to Debian's APT or Gentoo's Portage. Our servers here on PHP Freaks are running CentOS and I think the package manager sucks.

Hi, I've downloaded Fedora with bitTorrent, and I have the folowing maps:

I've burned them all on a CD, and made it bootable with: EFI/boot/initrd0.img  because I didn't know which img I had to choose.  But it doesn't boot on the startup :-(, what have I done wrong, or how should I install it the right way?

- EFI

- boot

- bootx64.conf

- bootx64.efi

- grub.conf

- initrd0.img

- isolinux.bin

- isolinux.cfg

- memtest

- splash.jpg

- splash.xpm.gz

- vesamenu.c32

- vmlinuz0

- isolinux

- boot.cat

- initrd0.img

- isolinux.bin

- isolinux.cfg

- memtest

- splash.jpg

- vesamenu.c32

- vmlinuz0

- LiveOs

- livecd-iso-to-disk

- osmin.img

- squashfs.img

Hmm...I'm not sure what you did there.  In my experience with these Linux distros (only been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half) you simply look for the "Live CD" release which gives you an ISO which you then burn to a CD.  Boot your system with that CD in the drive and you'll be able to boot into the linux distro you downloaded.  Most of them provide an interface from within that Live system to make the actual install to disk - some offer that option as a boot menu before loading the system (Ubuntu does it like that).

When creating a dual boot you'll have to pay close attention to what you're doing when you get to your options for partitioning the drive during the Linux install.  Make sure you don't take the default resize as they tend to squish your Windows partition down to almost exactly the amount of space they are currently taking up on the drive (obviously windows wouldn't like that much).

Yeah just download the image, open it up with nero/alcohol/whatever and burn it to a disk. It will be bootable.

There's most likely a MD5 hash on the download site as well so you can ensure you downloaded the image in one piece.

at least openSUSE (my fav distro) offers the md5 hash on the site so I assume other distro's would as well

Hi, okay, I started over again, and I donwloaded the iso off ubuntu to my desktop,

it opened it with WinRar, and extracted all the files to C:/Documents And Settings/%USER%/Desktop/Ubuntu

Then I opened sonic MyDVD, and I chose data disc, and written all those files in ubuntu to a blank CD with MyDVD,

Then I tested it on my PC, and when I put in the CD, automaticly the ubuntu menu appears, -demo, -install

I've tried both demo and install, and they both install some files and ask to reboot, which I do,

but when the Pc started up again, the windows screen loaded;

WHat have I done wrong!!! :o :'(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.