Editing session files

pixy

Okay, someone tell me if this is totally off--but I was able to edit my session file created by my site and it logged me in as someone else. I just changed the number and the name and i was logged in as the other person...

My question is, couldn't anyone just go in there and change it? If they know the ID of the user and the username they could just log in as anyone.

How can I make it more secure?

This will only be possible if you are the Admin of the site, ie you have ftp/control panel access to your site. Sessions by default are stored on the server, usually within a folder called tmp which should be out of reach from public access, as its outside your servers document root.

But if the sessions data is being written to a cookie, (not the session id), then I would advise you either get the host to change this, or to write your own session handler.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.