Windows 98 SE

bobleny

Any one know where I can download windows 98 SE? This old hard drive crashed and the 98 SE cd is gone. I still have the product key from when it was installed so all I need to do install the software. I don't want to buy a new cd when really, I already paid for it and still have the key from when the drive crashed.

So, any one know where I can download windows 98 SE?

I better not see any warez posts in here or this thread is a goner!

And honestly, maybe it's time to upgrade?  98 isn't even supported by MS any more.  And you can probably buy it for less than 10 USD.  If you really need it that bad, it'd be cheaper than upgrading to XP.

[quote author=ober link=topic=101871.msg403816#msg403816 date=1153919270]

And honestly, maybe it's time to upgrade?  98 isn't even supported by MS any more.  And you can probably buy it for less than 10 USD.  If you really need it that bad, it'd be cheaper than upgrading to XP.
[/quote]

Well, It's not for me... I like my crummy, flawed, security risk, full of holes software called Windows XP. I have it on all my boxes. 

The problem is that she can't afforded the $200 for a new OS. It would be easier for her and cheaper to buy Windows 98 again even if it's 50 USD.

It doesn’t mater if it is old because she only uses it for MS photo shop and word basically.

Besides, because it's my dad's girl friend's PC, he gave me to options, either fix her box (even buying the software), or, give her my other box! And id rather fix hers.

[quote author=brendandonhue link=topic=101871.msg404228#msg404228 date=1153952420]
Whether or not you have a valid license, Microsoft doesn't allow you to download copies of their software.
[/quote]

That I figured as much...

###

Do you know if Linux can support basic MS programs such as, MS Office 2005?

And, where do you think I can buy Windows 98 SE? I looked online and sadly it's so old there is like no trace of it anymore...

[quote author=ober link=topic=101871.msg403816#msg403816 date=1153919270]

[/quote]

Oh and what do you mean warez posts?

If the following is in violation of the no warez I ask that you only modify the post because I don't know what you mean by warez. I assume it means like illegal versions of software...?

###

I found this site with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (not OEM) for only $85!!?!?!!!??
What the.., Why is it so cheap?

From: http://www.webcommunitysoftware.com/onlinestore/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WCS&Product_Code=oswxph
[quote]100% Genuine Guarantee
When you purchase from WebCommunitySoftware.com, you are purchasing a genuine version of Microsoft Windows XP Home. It comes with all necessary components to make it a completely legal version according to Microsoft's standard including the certificate of authenticity, product registration key, product hologram media and installation guide. This software when installed will pass Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage software test. We can guarantee it because it comes from Microsoft directly.[/quote]

I don't get it. If you know why this is so cheap or have head bad things of this company, please tell me before I purchase this dirt cheap software that is supposed to be legal...

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=101871.msg404824#msg404824 date=1154043204]
Hhere is my honest suggestion (and it really isn't a war post).  We come back to the long long war between Bill Gates and Others.  I would strongly suggest moving to Linux.  I have moved to Linux and my computer has not crashed once. 
[/quote]

Yes, I agree with you! I hate windows, yet I like it. If it wasn’t compatible with almost everything I wouldn’t use it. I like Linux much better, it's far more stable and I think most would agree. However, I don’t feel like switching for at the moment.

I would check on ebay or www.pricewatch.com you can usually find cheap software on there, even XP PRO for $60 if you look close enough  ;)

Warez sites are set up to provide illegal copies of software, games, movies and music. Sometimes you can find something, sometimes you can't...but you better have a good pop up and ad blocker or you can screw youself up pretty quick!

-Chris

[quote author=bobleny link=topic=101871.msg404790#msg404790 date=1154036366]
[/quote]

Linux has an emulator named Wine that will let you run Photoshop. But the PC has to be powerful to deal with the emulator.
I use OpenOffice. It's almost exactly like MS Office. In fact, I exchange documents with clients who use MS Office while i'm on OpenOffice and I don't seem to have many issues apart from the occasional minor formatting difference.

see: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29]Wine[/url]

[quote author=Koobi link=topic=101871.msg404930#msg404930 date=1154061745]
[quote author=bobleny link=topic=101871.msg404790#msg404790 date=1154036366]
[/quote]

Linux has an emulator named Wine that will let you run Photoshop. But the PC has to be powerful to deal with the emulator.
I use OpenOffice. It's almost exactly like MS Office. In fact, I exchange documents with clients who use MS Office while i'm on OpenOffice and I don't seem to have many issues apart from the occasional minor formatting difference.

see: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29]Wine[/url]
[/quote]

OpenOffice? Free ware! never herd of it! I like freeware, Ive liked all the freeware that ive downloaded and in many cases its better than MS products! I always used photoshop and then a friend said GIMP and I like it so much better!

The problem is finding the software, and im not totally familiare with linux either which sucks. Like with windows I can basiclly go through the files and delete all the junk they put on your pc! I hate that, where do they get off charging you all this money for an OS and then jam 100s of ads in your face when its already a crumy programe!

but if you're totally new to Linux, i'd recommend Ubuntu.

but once you get familiar with Ubuntu, Gentoo is probably the best move you could make unless you become a BSD freak hehe

but yeah linux generally has package managers (some basic lite distros like slackware, don't).
a package manager does the installing and configuration (and some package managers even handle dependency problems) all for you.
there are software repositories that the package manager would go grab the software you want from and install it. so instead of hunting for what you need, you can search for the software via your package manager (if that particular linux distro offers that feature) and then install it. all within two lines.

for example, on Ubuntu, if you wanted to search for an mp3 player software, you could type this in a terminal:
[code]
apt-cache search mp3
[/code]

of course now you'll also get a list of libraries with the name "mp3" in them as well as software with the words "mp3". but suppose you do find the mp3 player you want to install and it's name was "xmms" ;), you would type this in a terminal:
[code]
sudo apt-get install xmms
[/code]

and it will install the program and configure it for you. that's it. easier than windows :)

apt-* are commands that interact with Ubuntu's package manager.

Gentoo's package manager is more advanced that Ubuntu's but i think Gentoo might be a little overwhelming, in general, to the average windows user.

if anything we said doesn't make sense, please do ask. i'm sure most of us (if not, myself) here would be more than glad to see you use a linux box :)

Distros == Distributions

If you're doing this for someone else that is NOT a power user, do not switch them to Linux.  They will not appreciate the learning curve, especially if they don't know anything about it.

Finding XP Home (even non-OEM) for $85 is not surprising.  I'd be surprised if you can't find it for less.

[quote author=ober link=topic=101871.msg405093#msg405093 date=1154090635]
If you're doing this for someone else that is NOT a power user, do not switch them to Linux.  They will not appreciate the learning curve, especially if they don't know anything about it.[/quote]

I wouldn't put linux on any one if I don't know it completlly. Even then, I wouldn't put linux on anyone who didn't aprove.

[quote author=ober link=topic=101871.msg405093#msg405093 date=1154090635]Finding XP Home (even non-OEM) for $85 is not surprising.  I'd be surprised if you can't find it for less.
[/quote]

And I was looking online for it and all of the where 199 USD and up. So I wondered if it was a lie...

Yeah, thats why I'm asking about them. You know, before I give them my card number and what not... I also sent an email to microsoft to make sure there claim is true. If they say it is I will go ahead and buy from them. Other wise it's linux.

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=101871.msg405369#msg405369 date=1154115961]
I see why it is cheap. It is becuase it is actually OEM software. I think its illegal to sell OEM software on itsown, unless you buy hardware with it. I think thats how the OEM license if based of. I'm not sure though.
[/quote]

Dam You...! Yup your right. I didnt see that. Probably saved me a lot of hastle though.

[quote author=http://www.webcommunitysoftware.com/onlinestore/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=oswxph&Category_Code=]Other Sale Notes

* This software is a FULL version operating system, not an upgrade. The software will format the computer's hard disk and install a clean copy of the operating system.
    * This software is an OEM package and does not include manuals or tech support. Review our FAQ page for more information on OEM products.
    * The manual is installed with the product.
    * Product picture on this page is for representational use only and is not included in sale.
[/quote]

Also, yes, FYI, It is illegal.

[quote author=http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/findsoftware/f/oemsoftware.htm]OEM software is only distributed when sold with specified accompanying hardware. When these programs are copied and/or sold separately from the hardware, it is a violation of the license with the software publisher, and therefore illegal.[/quote]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.