Why this doens't work?

powerdot

Hello,

I hope to find here some help. I have a great php contact form that send the content to different email addresses.

Only for one department I want that the script look into an existing database if the username is accurate. If not a warning message need to be given and saying to fix the ticket.

I have insert this:

[quote]

if ((isset($_POST['form_subject'])) && ($_POST['form_subject'] == $subject_option[1]['subj']))
    {
        $link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'powerdo_web', "*******");
        mysql_select_db(powerdo_accounts', $link);
        $query = "SELECT `username` FROM `member_list` WHERE `username`='" . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['$var_username']) . "' LIMIT 1";

if (mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($query)) != 1)
        {
            print "<font color=\"#660000\"><strong>* Required field -- \"Your cPanel Username\" is not valid. Please fix this and re-submit.</strong></font><br>\n";
            $skipflag = true;
        }
    }

[/quote]

All tickets are send: without username; with a valid username and with a unvalid username.
It seems the script doesn't look into the database for verify the usernames.  :-[

Can somebody help me out this problem please?
Thank you,
Natalia.

there meny ways i show you here you are mate.

example 1
[code]
if ((isset($_POST['form_subject'])) && ($_POST['form_subject'] == $subject_option[1]['subj']))
    {
        $query = "SELECT `username` FROM `member_list` WHERE `username`='" . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['$var_username']) . "' LIMIT 1";
       $result=mysql_query($query);
        if (mysql_num_rows($result) != 1)
        {
            print "<font color=\"#660000\"><strong>* Required field -- \"Your cPanel Username\" is not valid. Please fix this and re-submit.</strong></font>
\n";
            $skipflag = true;
        }
    }

[/code]

example 2
[code]
    {
        if (!mysql_num_rows($result) == 1)
        {
            print "<font color=\"#660000\"><strong>* Required field -- \"Your cPanel Username\" is not valid. Please fix this and re-submit.</strong></font>
\n";
            $skipflag = true;
        }
    }

[/code]

example 3
[code]
    {
while($record=mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){

if($record['username']==0)
        {
\n";
            $skipflag = true;
        }
    }
}
[/code]

dear friend,
  It seems that the script does look into the database for verifying  the usernames.Please look or check the posted variables 'form_subject' and whether the checking condition  if ((isset($_POST['form_subject'])) && ($_POST['form_subject'] == $subject_option[1]['subj']))   meets or not
bye

Thank you for your post!  :D

redarrow : I tried the 3 codes but all unsuccessfull.

prm : sorry, this must be right since this variables are used by the script for select the one specific departement where I want to verify the username.

Ohter suggestions?

Again Thank You All.

Aside from a parse error in this: mysql_select_db(powerdo_accounts[b]'[/b], $link);

First thing I notice: [b]$_POST['$var_username'].[/b]

Please check if you have a form element named "$var_username", and not, for example, "var_username".

Futhermore, lines like [i]if (mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($query)) != 1) [/i] aren't exactly recommended.

Try
[code]<?php
$res = mysql_query($query) or die('Query Failed. '.mysql_error()."\n")
if(mysql_num_rows($res)) {
etc etc
?>[/code]

echo out the username then see it it is set from the Query ok.

[code]
   {

echo $record['username'];
       {
\n";
           $skipflag = true;
       }
   }
}
[/code]

dear friend
    your code goes like this

{

}
after the form_subject is set then will the validity will be checked otherwise
not , chances are that this condition must be evaluating to false
bye.

OK, this make me mat  :(

I'm sure from the first and therefore I have put the suggestion from "redarrow" (thanks) for echo out the username in a single script named test.php.

This is the script:
[quote]

<?php

$var_username = " ";

$skipflag = FALSE;
$link = mysql_connect("localhost", "powerdo_web", "*******") or die("Error: " . mysql_error());
        mysql_select_db("powerdo_accounts", $link);
        $query = "SELECT `username` FROM `host_list` WHERE `username`='" . mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['$var_username']) . "' LIMIT 1";
      $result=mysql_query($query)or die('Query Failed. '.mysql_error()."\n");

echo $record['username'];
{
            print "<font color=\"#660000\"><strong>* Required field -- \"Your Username\" is not valid. Please fix this and re-submit.</strong></font>
\n";
            $skipflag = true;
        }
}

?>

[/quote]

I receive only a blank page, no errors, no username, nothing.

Please echo out both $query and $_POST.

[code]<?php
echo $query;
echo '<pre>';
print_r($_POST);
echo '</pre>';
?>[/code]

Also please post your form. Something is wrong with this $var_username thing I can almost taste it.  :P

You do know that '$var' won't expand to the value of $var, right?

Also, check your error reporting level. Something's fishy.

[code]<?php
$oldlevel = error_reporting(E_ALL);
echo $oldlevel;
?>[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.