Not a happy person

I got this email today saying they found me on here (www.phpfreaks.com) but i dont have my email address showing anywere on here so how did he get it, email message:

[quote]Hi there, 

I am writing to follow up and check if you got my email below.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Aaron Ford

Business Development

SMS.ac Inc.

Phone: (619) 696-1300 x1306

aford@corp.sms.ac

| 741 F. Street | San Diego, CA, 92101 | USA

Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:39 AM
Subject: Application Development

Hi there,

I found you on phpfreaks.com and considering your development skills, I thought this might interest you. SMS.ac, with 50 million users worldwide, will pay you for your application. There's no cost to you, it's fast and easy, and you get paid quickly.

For more details or to get started, click here.  I’ve included some Frequently Asked Questions below.  Please contact me if you need help.

Best regards,

Aaron Ford

Business Development

SMS.ac Inc.

Phone: (619)696-1300 x1306

aford@corp.sms.ac

| 741 F. Street | San Diego, CA, 92101 | USA

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much will it cost me to get started?

A. Nothing. There are no fees or costs for you.

Q. How do users pay for my applications?

A. Users subscribe to your applications, and pay you directly through their mobile phones. Only SMS.ac has the relationships and technology to successfully bill most mobile consumers worldwide directly through their mobile phone companies.

Q. How much will users pay for my applications?

A. You choose the price for your applications. If you like, SMS.ac can help you with that decision.

Q. How much will I be paid for my applications?

A. You will receive 33% of the monthly subscription price that you set. Mobile phone companies retain a majority portion of the revenue for use of their systems.

Q. How will I get paid?

A. SMS.ac collects the revenues from each of your subscribers and mails you a check each month.

Q. What type of applications can I publish?

A. You can publish any type of application on SMS.ac, from gadgets and games, to productivity tools and enterprise-level applications.

Q. Is my application compatible with the SMS.ac platform?

A. Applications developed in most languages can be published on SMS.ac , including C#, C++, PHP, ASP, .NET,  HTML, ColdFusion, JSP, Visual Basic, and others. The exceptions are JavaScript, applets, servlets, and the use of iFrames.

Q. How easy is it to get started?

A. It’s very easy to get started. Applications on SMS.ac are wrapped by xPML, a new scripting language that extends other programming languages and can be learned in practically no time. To learn more about xPML, access the SDK.

Q. Will SMS.ac own the rights to my applications?

A. No. Your applications remain solely and completely your intellectual property.

Q. Will my applications be displayed on the users’ mobile phones?

A. Yes. Soon, most applications published on SMS.ac will be available both on the Web and on the mobile handset. There are exceptions to this feature, including applications that use Flash, Java, or certain types of media files.

Q. Will my applications be hosted by SMS.ac?

A. No. You must host your applications on a server you control. For suggestions on free hosting services, contact a member of the SMS.ac Pod Development Team.

Q. How will I get lots of users and generate lots of revenue?

A. SMS.ac is the world’s largest mobile community, with over 50 million registered users that can pay you for your applications. The SMS.ac community is expected to grow rapidly in the next 12 months, more than doubling in size to over 100 Million users worldwide.

Q. How do I get started?

A. Simply register as a Pod Developer to access the SDK, sample source code, and other resources.

Q. How do I get help if I have more questions?

A. For answers to your questions, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions area. You may also contact the Pod Development Team, who will be delighted to assist you.[/quote]

I dont no nuthing about a email he sent on the 18th of July and i dont no nuthing about this project and like i said befor all my email address are hidden on this site so its leed me to belive that a admin for a mod gave it out!

Personally, I'm not sure how this has happened, even as a moderator I can not see what your email address is. Although I guess the admins can, but see no reason why they would give your specific email address to anyone... I see this is your second post, did your first post happen to be in our freelancing forum?

[quote author=01706 link=topic=101901.msg403737#msg403737 date=1153909965]
i think my first post was a repley to a script on www.phpfreaks.com but i cant rember what script it as it was ages ago
[/quote]
Ok, I'm sure an admin will be along soon to offer some insight.

Your email address is listed in your profile, and I don't think I'm the only one that can see the envelope under your postcount.  That's probably how they were able to contact you.  Unfortunately, I don't know of an option to hide that item, but I will look into it, you can be assured of that.

If it makes you feel better, I got the same spam email.  I am going to contact them immediately.

i got that too. and another one, in fact:

[quote]
Hi there!

I saw you on www.phpfreaks.com and you are invited to join the all new SMF Webmaster Forum.

SMF Webmaster Forum, http://smfusers.com is an exclusive Internet Marketing & Search Engine Forum for Simple Machine Forum Webmasters.

We are also looking for moderators. Enjoy your weekend!

Regards,
Anusha
The SMFusers Forum Team.

http://smfusers.com/index.php
[/quote]

I wonder... perhaps this is part of some advertising deal that SMF has, where advertisers pay them to offer up who uses their script? Maybe someone from the SMF team if they are still hanging around, can perhaps offer an explaination or else tell me i'm crazy.

I have contacted the company and they have promised to stop spamming the community.  If any of you receive any future items from anyone at SMS.ac, please let me know.  As far as the SMF spamming, I will be contacting them as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.