[SOLVED] finding last item in a foreach()

law

According to a comment in the manual this should work:

<?php
$array = array('apples','bananas','cranberries','durians');
$last_item = end($array);

foreach($array as $item) {
  if ($item == $last_item) {
    print "I like to eat " . $item;
  }
}
?> 

source : http://us3.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.foreach.php comment by grobemo

here is my code:

foreach ($pieces as &$p2){
$last_piece = end($p2);
if($p2 = $last_piece && !isset($error)) {
         $error = "No Error";
}
}

Here is my error message: "Warning: end() [function.end]: Passed variable is not an array or object in C:\wamp\www\index.php on line 2 (in my example)"

Thanks guys I have been posting on the board all day. You guys have been a savior helping me meet this deadline.

Try following the example from php.ner. -_-  You're calling end() on each individual element in the array, instead of once on the whole array, before the loop.

law did it correctly. He/She just didn't need to loop.

$last_piece = end($p2);

$pieces is the array, $p2 is the individual element.  What's wrong with that picture?

Also:

if ($p2 = last_piece ...

Should be 2 =.

Ha! I'm stupid. I was looking at the first example. Don't mind me.

Sorry all.

UGH! and I just learned that $p2 was the individual elements of the array earlier today! Apparently my brain is on vacation.

$last_piece = end($pieces);
//echo $last_piece;
// lots of unimportant code here
if($p2 == $last_piece && !isset($error)) {
$error = "No Error";
}						
}				

Works like a charm! Thanks again

That seems redundant. Like I said, why not just skip the for loop and echo $last_piece?

I am trying to identify the last pass through of my foreach loop. I am doing a lot of other things utilizing the loop. I have stripped all of that out as it has nothing to do with this question. I am only using the $last_item to identify the last item in the array. The if() then checks to make sure in my code, that is not included, that there were no identified errors in the loop. As each time the loop runs it does many things which might have resulted in a error due to the way the user inputted the string I am parsing. This whole thing prevents the same error from being printed out to the user more than one time. With out the if() it would show the error every time the error was encountered.

Hope that made some sense? I commented where the missing code would have been in my previous post if that helps visualize what I am talking/typing about.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.