Browser Cache?

Hi,

Is it me or does anyone else find it that this site becomes a bit laggy after a bit. I use Firefox and maybe it's the cache or something else but Firefox skyrockets to like 500+ MB memory when I browse this place for a certain time. I never hit that high on other sites. I tried to limit my tabs while I'm on here as well, but that's not really helping. Usually, I can browse fine with 8 tabs or so if this site isn't on. But after an hour or 2 here, it starts to really burden down Firefox's memory usage and the site is a bit laggy. I'm not sure if it's cache or not. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Ken

Actually, as of late the site feels snappier than before (I know Dan did some maintenance not too long ago, thanks to the 'hello world' maintenance message I seen a day or so ago).

Granted, I use Chrome, not Firefox. So for me, it's actually the inverse.. feels faster than before. Have you tested this site in other browsers? I wouldn't be surprised if it was more of a Firefox thing than anything else (but I could be wrong here).

I always use FF and it never really lags for me.  Although, this morning phpfreaks was just hanging for about an hour, hour and a half.

EDIT: I'm using Ubuntu as well.

I always use FF and it never really lags for me.  Although, this morning phpfreaks was just hanging for about an hour, hour and a half.

EDIT: I'm using Ubuntu as well.

Mine lags to the point where if I hover over a link, I have to wait a few seconds before being able to click it. And sometimes when I type, my messages don't show up in the textarea until after 3 seconds or so. I keep typing and it'll just appear all at once. What's your memory usage on Firefox?

Daniel0 - Didn't they fix part of that in Firefox 3. I'll be lying if I said this site alone caused an overload of memory consumption, but this issue has been going on like this for the past days. So I tested it out by opening this site, php.net and a google search site. 3 tabs for the day. And it's at 516.2 MB as I'm typing now. I've been using it since 1 PM. Maybe the almost 5 hours caused it? Though I never hit that high before even when I had 8 tabs and my laptop on for 10 hours

I'm not blaming this site, but I just thought I raised the question to see if anyone else had issues.

Firefox 3 / openSUSE here 5 tabs open and using a mere 151MB (and 27MB shared with other apps).

So whatever it is isn't a linux/firefox combo thing.

Haven't noticed any major slowdowns either, aside from myself messing up the occasional javascript loop in another tab :)

No issues here using windows xp/ff 3.01  nor  vista ultimate x64/minefield(FF).

The only issues I get seem to be occasional slow downs where the pages don't load (perhaps due to high traffic / backups / or dns issues).  These maybe happen every few days that I notice.

Same here, click on a link to a post or another section and it churns for a bit before it actually does anything.

The only issues I get seem to be occasional slow downs where the pages don't load (perhaps due to high traffic / backups / or dns issues).  These maybe happen every few days that I notice.

Daniel0 - Didn't they fix part of that in Firefox 3.

I think they tried but failed. I know that my FF starts up at 80MB then slowly increases and gets to about 500MB and all I do is browser forums and read GMail, and in fact it is GMail with FireFox that is causing the memory leak. Whose end is it on, GMails or FF I am not sure. But yea it is a known problem.

So I just installed a mail notifier and use that. I would use Thunderbird to get my email but I hate using clients cause I am often on 3-4 different computers and it gets to be a pain :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.