"IF" commands...

Jim R

Ok.  I'm stuck on this.  Why is the below not working?  FYI, I have tried it with =1 and ="1".  It still produces the same results, which is just printing the entire list.  I"m not getting any errors. 

$query = 'SELECT * FROM class2010 ORDER BY rankPOS ASC';
$results = mysql_query($query);
while($line = mysql_fetch_assoc($results)) {

if ($line['group'] = "1")

{echo '<tr>
		<td valign="top">'. $line['rankPos'] . $line['deviation'] . '</td>
		<td valign="top"><a href="/wiki/index.php?title=' . $line['nameFirst'] . '_' . $line['nameLast'] .'">'. $line['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $line['nameLast'] . '</a></td>
		<td valign="top"><center>'. $line['height'] . '</center></td>
		<td valign="top"><center>'. $line['level'] . '</center></td>
		<td valign="top">'. $line['hschool'] . '</td>
		<td valign="top">'. $line['college'] . '</td>
	</tr>';}

if ($line['group'] = "1") this condition is always true. since you're passing 1 which also means true. plus your not really asking if 1 is equal to $line['group'] but you are assigning value to $line['group'] with 1..

so ti should be

$line['group'] == 1

or

$line['group'] === 1

Very nice.  The == worked.  The === yielded no results.  At the risk of sounding lazy, what is the difference?  I always thought == meant it didn't equal.  I Googled it, but it didn't come up because they aren't words. 

Can I continue this topic a little further?  :)

I know enough PHP to tinker with echo statements, but as for writing my own, my brain no longer functions with that kind of logic.  As I'm dealing with "IF" commands, what I posted above, I have three separate sections from the same database.

Section 1 is posted above, and as you can see the output is in a table.  I will continue the table for sections 2 and 3.

Should I repeat what I have above for sections 2 and 3, or is there a way of IF....AND...AND...?

I don't think it's IF/else.

Can I continue this topic a little further?  :)

I know enough PHP to tinker with echo statements, but as for writing my own, my brain no longer functions with that kind of logic.  As I'm dealing with "IF" commands, what I posted above, I have three separate sections from the same database.

Section 1 is posted above, and as you can see the output is in a table.  I will continue the table for sections 2 and 3.

Should I repeat what I have above for sections 2 and 3, or is there a way of IF....AND...AND...?

I don't think it's IF/else.

Can you elaborate on that? While you're at it, can you post the updated code?

Ken

I actually came back to post the updated code.  Sorry about that.  Basically, I have three different queries(?) with three different SELECTS.  (Not sure of the terminology.)

<?php

mysql_select_db("jwrbloom_hhr");

echo '<table class="playerTable" width="100%">

<thead>
      <tr>
        <th>#</th>
        <th>Top 10</th>
        <th>HT</th>
        <th>Level</th>
        <th>City (School)</th>
	<th>College</th>
      </tr>
    </thead>
    <tfoot>
      <tr>
        <td colspan="6" align="right">(+) moved up; (d) debut; (s) switched from another position</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  	<td colspan="6" align="right">Colleges in bold print means committed</td>
  </tr>
    </tfoot>
<tbody>
';

$query = 'SELECT * FROM class2010 ORDER BY rankPOS ASC';
while($line = mysql_fetch_assoc($results)) {

if ($line['group'] == 1)  {

echo '<tr>
		<td>'. $line['rankPos'] . $line['deviation'] . '</td>
		<td><a href="/wiki/index.php?title=' . $line['nameFirst'] . '_' . $line['nameLast'] .'" class="thickbox">'. $line['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $line['nameLast'] . '</a></td>
		<td><center>'. $line['height'] . '</center></td>
		<td><center>'. $line['level'] . '</center></td>
		<td>'. $line['hschool'] . '</td>
		<td>'. $line['college'] . '</td>
	</tr>';}

}

echo '	<tr>
		<td class="playerTable_head" colspan="6">The Best of the Rest</td>
	</tr>';

$query = 'SELECT * FROM class2010 ORDER BY nameLast ASC';
while($line = mysql_fetch_assoc($results))	

if ($line['group'] == 2)  {

echo '<tr>
		<td>'. $line['deviation'] . '</td>
		<td><a href="/wiki/index.php?title=' . $line['nameFirst'] . '_' . $line['nameLast'] .'" class="thickbox" >'. $line['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $line['nameLast'] . '</a></td>
	</tr>';}

echo '	<tr>
		<td class="playerTable_head" colspan="6">Names To Know</td>
	</tr>';

$query = 'SELECT * FROM class2010 ORDER BY nameLast ASC';
while($line = mysql_fetch_assoc($results))	

if ($line['group'] == 3)  {

echo '<tr>
		<td>'. $line['deviation'] . '</td>
		<td><a href="/wiki/index.php?title=' . $line['nameFirst'] . '_' . $line['nameLast'] .'" class="thickbox" >'. $line['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $line['nameLast'] . '</a></td>
	</tr>';}

echo '</tbody></table>';

?>

No, you can put the third if statement directly after the second if statement because they're using the same SQL anyways.

Also, you can be more specific in your query so you don't have to use your first if statement.

SELECT * FROM class2010 WHERE group = 1 ORDER BY rankPOS ASC

For the last two, you can have MySQL only select rows where group is either 2 or 3.

No, you can put the third if statement directly after the second if statement because they're using the same SQL anyways.

Also, you can be more specific in your query so you don't have to use your first if statement.

SELECT * FROM class2010 WHERE group = 1 ORDER BY rankPOS ASC

For the last two, you can have MySQL only select rows where group is either 2 or 3.

I'm not sure of the logic of the code as you describe it.  I tried to do them all with the same SQL (before I switched what section 2 queried), and it printed the Header for the second section every time too.

And by "code" i hope there's an mysql query in there somewhere -- otherwise I'm moving this to a more appropriate board.

The "code" is already up there, and it has plenty of queries, exactly three.  That's the point.  Is there a more concise way of doing it?  The answer is probably yes, which is why I'm asking.

Ken, I no longer have the example I referred to because it wasn't yielding what I wanted. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.