Who else agrees that Mac Ads are hiliarious?

PugJr

I've gotten quite a few chuckles from the Mac Ads myself, and no, I'm not a mac user. I mean you gotta give them credit for making funny ads.

Here is the list of them for those who don't know about them:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Then youtube the names of the episodes if you don't have macs software thing installed.

I would have to say Choose a Vista and Work Vs. Home are the best ones though. Whats your faviortes?

Windows 7 by far. Vista was just a waste of the homeowner's money in my opinion, just like Windows ME.

I hate the mac ads, they are way too biased and freaking retarded. Mac has less virus's because Mac does not make enough of a chunk of the PC users out there. Or the "dumb" PC users. So virus's are targeted at the system which will be the most effective for a worm to travel through. Why would you design a worm to go through a few million (if that) computers vs a few hundred million? The whole point is to cause dismay and issues and sometimes steal information.

Simple as that. If Mac was more popular it would be the target of virus's etc. I honestly think the mac ads are just freaking retarded. Yea there is some humor as everyone get's a laugh at Windows and it's security issues, but when you have the user base windows does, you cannot cover all your angles. As a Mac tends to have just a few custom machines from the advanced, PC has Compaq, HP, custom, Alien Ware...and list goes on with all sorts of different hardware etc so they have to accommodate that. Now whose job is easier? The company that makes their own hardware and it is rare that user's customize their machines or the company where anyone can make a machine with any type of hardware in it and get it to work.

Really, I just hate those mac commercials, so freaking stupid. And so typical of Mac to stereotype PC users to all be "geeks/nerds" vs "trendies". If you want to follow the trend or get into graphics get a Mac. If you want to be able to customize your machine fully get a PC, because a PC does not have to run Windows.

/end rant/

This is strictly my view, I could be overreacting, but yea. I think Mac's are good decent computers and great with graphics but not very cost effective.

I hate the mac ads, they are way too biased and freaking retarded. Mac has less virus's because Mac does not make enough of a chunk of the PC users out there. Or the "dumb" PC users. So virus's are targeted at the system which will be the most effective for a worm to travel through. Why would you design a worm to go through a few million (if that) computers vs a few hundred million? The whole point is to cause dismay and issues and sometimes steal information.

See, I've never understood that argument. Surely all the hype behind Macs not having viruses ensures that no Mac owner installs a virus scanner, therefore these millions of 'unprotected' Macs would be a 'good' target. Millions of baffled users unsure why their Mac has gone tits-up... It can't be a virus, Macs don't get viruses!

I'd imagine it just comes down to OS X being a lot more secure than Windows, I assume, to a degree, this is down to it being based on BSD.

I'd imagine it just comes down to OS X being a lot more secure than Windows, I assume, to a degree, this is down to it being based on BSD.

I figured someone would point out something to make me eat my words. But all the same, I still think Mac is more secure due to the limited hardware it will work on. As far as I know Mac's only work with their hardware unless you hack your PC to run a mac with some type of a converter. But at last, I have used Macs but I never dove into them enough to understand their security. I just cannot get over that stupid 1 button mouse. It annoys me.

That and I did not know OS X was based off of BSD, which would explain the security portion. :)

As far as my statement, maybe it would be better worded that most Virus/Worm makers target Windows probably for the flaws in the code mostly, but because they just dislike Micro$oft and like to cause them havoc and pain to hopefully get users to switch to Linux :) (granted that is probably not true, but that is how I imagine it).

Just as a pre-cursor, I'm in no way a Mac fanboy. I have a few that I use daily (testing web projects), though my main machines all run GNU/Linux. BUT, a lot of the reasons Windows users pick on Macs for generally don't exist these days, and I bet a lot of these people have not used a Mac in the last few years.

I still think Mac is more secure due to the limited hardware it will work on. As far as I know Mac's only work with their hardware unless you hack your PC to run a mac with some type of a converter. But at last, I have used Macs but I never dove into them enough to understand their security. I just cannot get over that stupid 1 button mouse. It annoys me.

I think OS X does run checks on install to make sure it's running on Apple hardware, although it's well documented on how to get it running on non-Apple hardware.

You can use >1 button mice with a Mac, ironically (or not, if you know their history) I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse plugged into one of mine - 5 Buttons and a wheel. Apple have also released a multi-button mouse.

You can't play games on a mac.

Well, not proper ones anyway.

What do you consider a proper game? A small selection of games that have been released for the Mac:

• Halo
  • Battlefield 1942
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Doom 3
  • Need for Speed Carbon
  • Guitar Hero
  • Lego Indiana Jones
  • World of Warcraft

At the end of the day, given the choice between Windows XP or Vista and OS X, I'd choose OS X every time. It's just so much more polished, faster, pleasing to look at and easier to use. Don't mock it until you have tried it.

See, I've never understood that argument. Surely all the hype behind Macs not having viruses ensures that no Mac owner installs a virus scanner, therefore these millions of 'unprotected' Macs would be a 'good' target. Millions of baffled users unsure why their Mac has gone tits-up... It can't be a virus, Macs don't get viruses!

Oh yeah?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/22/safari-browser-exploit-produced-within-9-hours-in-hacking-compet/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/pwn-2-own-over-macbook-air-gets-seized-in-2-minutes-flat/

I'd imagine it just comes down to OS X being a lot more secure than Windows

The only secure machine is one that is switched off ;) (Unless you count social engineering)

lol I also remember the iPhone (granted it is not a PC) was hacked within like 8 hours of released with a massive bug in it. :)

Anyhow, I still feel that Mac is not largely targeted due to the majority of companies that use Windows to power their server. Whether it is a small company that uses Windows 2003/2008 or a major server. Knowing how to exploit that could be useful to a hacker, especially if everyone on their network is using the same version of windows thus making it easier to create a worm to bog down network traffic to hide their tracks.

That is just how I see it. Size does matter because there is potentially more valuable information stored on PC's with Windows installed vs a Mac.

I've seen the safari exploit and not sure if they ever patched it or not. I've been supporting windows and macs for years and I will give Apple credit for coming a long way, but the G4/G5 generation macs have nothing but hardware failures all the time.  There are also a number of finder crashes that you can't even fix half the time with any built in tools.  I used a 3rd party program (disk warrior) numerous times to recover from system failures.

I still think market share plays a huge role in the number or viruses, but there are also less exploits because apple doesn't open themselves up like windows does.  There are far less programs (paid or free) available for the mac which means there is less to attack. 

The hardware and software is tightly integrated.  The only virus I've had to deal with up to this point is a stupid word macro that circled around. Funny that it was a microsoft product, but it never did any harm.

Apple has made a few grade decisions:

1.  Switching to a unix based core

2.  Finally going to Intel

3.  Improved user interface

I will still probably never buy a mac though because I like to have a choice in my hardware and I still find windows to be more responsive. 

I find the Apple Mac/PC ads really good TBH... Some of the better marketing out there. Microsoft demonstrated that it's not easy to counter with those god-awful Seinfeld / Gates commercials.. now THOSE were retarded! Those are commercials worth hating to the Nth degree.

I played around with a friends macbook pro, and while I don't have extensive experience with any Apple product for that matter, I must say that I am quite pleased with what I played around with. Very sleek and well done. Not to say they're perfect or anything.. but seemed quite nice.

Man, you people are completely off. You are supposed to laugh from how ridiculous the advertisments are. I'm not saying macs are better at the moment (they were 15 years back) but I'm saying just the jokes they use on the ads are funny. Don't any of you people have a sense of humour?

EDIT: I seriously can't believe you guys turned this into a Mac VS PC thread. Not like we need another one of those! No one appreciates the humour that the Mac people put into making the advertisments? Oh, while we are bickering about which is better, PC or Mac, how about we do a which is better? IE or FF?

Microsoft demonstrated that it's not easy to counter with those god-awful Seinfeld / Gates commercials.. 

I did not read most of these posts as I have read so many posts of Mac VS PC that I just ignore them at this point. I must agree with you fully on that, those advertisments are just terrible and way too long. Do I really want to watch a 20 minute commerical? No, 30 seconds is short and quick to the point which Mac has mastered.

Does anyone here think the PC (Bill Gates and Seinfiled) ads are any good?

EDIT: Didn't see you post there, Corbin. Do you think the Mac Ads are funny are not at all or mediocre? On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate the Mac Ads and 1-10 on the PC ads.

"EDIT: Didn't see you post there, Corbin. Do you think the Mac Ads are funny are not at all or mediocre? On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate the Mac Ads and 1-10 on the PC ads."

1-10 Mac TV Ads: 3

1-10 Windows TV Ads: 1

I don't like either of them.

Probably the only entertaining commerical to see on T.V., nrg_alpha. Which episode happens to be your faviorte?

Oh, there's other entertaining commercials out there.. but as far as the Apple ones are concerned, that's a good question..

I look at these ones, and the ones I really like are ones starting at 1:03 (iLife comes with Mac, calculator comes with PC), 6:40 (home movie comparison) and 7:10 (therapy). But I like them all in general.

Do you happen to be a Mac or PC user yourself?

Hes a PC junkie. He gets off on Windows/Linux...seriously.

I do primarily use Windows/linux (mainly Windows), but I wouldn't consider my self a junkie.  I think when it comes down to it, overall Mac and Windows are fairly equal.  I just don't like any of the commercials.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.