iframe, object - or something else?

web_master

hi,

I work with iframe sometimes, like a some shoutbox - but, in xhtml strict I cannot use iframe. Here is "object", and its OK, but what ca I do when I know that the blind people can "see" the iframe, but they cannot "see" the object. They use usual the Jaws screan reader software, and I know that jaws cannot read the "object".

Is some (simple) sloution?

thanks in advanced.

What are you trying to use the object/iframe for?  Is it something you could just put in a div, or is it something that requires a plug-in?

That is definitely the primary question, because most of the time you can definitely get away with some sort of normal block level container object, like a div and just giving it an overflow: scroll; if you want scrollbars/scrolling area.

It will be an shout box with scrollbar (scrolling area).

Im mostly using tables and less the div-s. Its an habit and now I most slowly study div-s to use in sites. So for now I need to use one shoutbox, but the "object" - as I say - cannot read blind men. So I know now that I need a shoutbox with overflow.

And its no need plug-in, just a reload from database, it will be a pure PHP txt.

Like stewart said, you can use the css overflow:scroll to create the same sort of scrolling effect that an iframe would have.  I'm not 100% positive about this, but I'm pretty sure it will work as well on a table cell as it would on a div, so you don't need to stop using a table-based layout to do it.

tbh, I don't think it does, sticking a div inside a table cell goes just fine though.

I'm not too convinced a screenreader picks up changing/ajax text though as opposed to say a self refreshing iframe.

Technically, it would pick up on it.  Since the page is read linearly, though, if the change is made to a part that was already read, the user wouldn't realize it.

As far as I know, the best way to get around that is to make sure all the content can be accessed without javascript (i.e. make sure your page "degrades gracefully") and then give the user some way to turn off the changing content.  One way I've read about is to make a checkbox that says something like "check this box if you're using a screenreader" and position it off-screen with css, so sighted users don't see it.

Think you just described his problem ;)

He went from a seperate page approach, which screenreaders can pick up since it's (an iframed) page changing to a part of the page changing that has already been read.

So I'm with Amanda on this one, you'll most likely have to offer an alternative solution, such as a seperate window.. or use iframes and a doctype that allows the use of them... or approach the developers of the screenreader and tell them an object can function as an iframe, which their software fails to treat the same as an iframe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.