mysql join with same field names

glenelkins

Hi

I have 2 tables that i have joined. One of the fields in each table is called "hash". how does this work?? For example:

$result = mysql_query ( "SELECT * FROM `theatres` LEFT JOIN `pantomimes_to_theatres` ON `theatres`.`id` = `pantomimes_to_theatres`.`theatre_id` WHERE `pantomimes_to_theatres`.`pantomime_id` = '$id'" );

while ( $r =mysql_fetch_array ( $result ) ) {

echo $r['hash']; // HOW CAN I TELL WHICH TABLE IT SHOULD COME FROM?
}

When i echo $r['hash'] how can i tell it which table i want the hash from?

Ok

I want the following fields from the "pantomimes_to_theatres" table

start_date

end_date

poster

hash

And the following from "theatres"

name

address

phone

booking_url

And they must join together on `theatres`.`id` = `pantomimes_to_theatres`.`theatre_id` WHERE `pantomimes_to_theatres`.`pantomime_id` = '$id'

I did look into using Aliases a little but not sure i follow 100%, as when i tried it with the * wildcard, like this $r["table_alias(field)"]  it didnt work

$result = mysql_query ( "SELECT pt.start_date, pt.end_date, pt.poster, pt.hash, t.name, t.address, t.phone, t.booking_url FROM `theatres` t LEFT JOIN `pantomimes_to_theatres` pt ON t.`id` = pt.`theatre_id` WHERE pt.`pantomime_id` = '$id'" );

yes thats what i have just done. i actually wrote the same query you did before you posted it.

But now, how would i echo the hash??

i mean i tried ( $r["pt(hash)"] ) it doesnt work i dont want to just use $r['hash'] here because i want to know how i would use the mysql Aliases to echo out in php

I have seen in some code somewhere the use of AS in the mysql query?

so if i got the hash field from both tables, how would i only display the hash from say the theatres table?

so for example the query was:

"SELECT t.`name`, t.`address`, t.`phone`, t.`booking_url`, t.`hash`, ptt.`start_date`, ptt.`end_date`, ptt.`poster`, ptt.`hash` FROM `theatres` t LEFT JOIN `pantomimes_to_theatres` ptt ON t.`id` = ptt.`theatre_id` WHERE ptt.`pantomime_id` = '$id'"

How would i echo the t.`hash` in php and not the ptt.`hash`

SELECT t.`name`, t.`address`, t.`phone`, t.`booking_url`, t.`hash` AS `t_hash`, ptt.`start_date`, ptt.`end_date`, ptt.`poster`, ptt.`hash` AS `ptt_hash` FROM `theatres` t LEFT JOIN `pantomimes_to_theatres` ptt ON t.`id` = ptt.`theatre_id` WHERE ptt.`pantomime_id` = '$id'

You're still selecting them in the form of $r['tbl_hash'], so nothing really changed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.