Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carole2

Test for email address in string

I would like a reg expression that can check for the existence of an email address in a string. This is to prevent users from entering an email address into a particular field.

regards
carole

Prehaps this [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,101005.0.html]thread[/url] might be able to help you out. Look at post number 3 by toplay.

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=101948.msg403973#msg403973 date=1153930842]
Prehaps this [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,101005.0.html]thread[/url] might be able to help you out. Look at post number 3 by toplay.
[/quote]

Thanks that was helpful but i would like a reg expression that would allow all text except for an email address, if that is possible.

You do something like this:
[code]<?php

$text = "Hey my email adddy is abc123@abc.def isnt it nice";

if(preg_match("/([A-Z0-9._%-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4})/i", $text))
{
    echo "Email adddy detected, We do not accept email addresses within strings!";
}
else
{
    echo "No email addy dectected";
}

?>[/code]

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=101948.msg404126#msg404126 date=1153940858]
You do something like this:
[code]<?php

$text = "Hey my email adddy is abc123@abc.def isnt it nice";

if(preg_match("/([A-Z0-9._%-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4})/i", $text))
{
    echo "Email adddy detected, We do not accept email addresses within strings!";
}
else
{
    echo "No email addy dectected";
}

?>[/code]
[/quote]

Thanks..
Yeah thats a possibility i thought of  that already. .. I am using a form class that validates on the server side and the client side. On the client side javascript is created from the reg expression. So i was looking for just a reg expression that would not accept any text that contained an email address. Its not that important as i could validate it on the server side only with the above code. 

Thanks for your input...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.