9 replies to this topic

#1 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

I knew it would come to this and that's why I shut it off at the beginning.  Someone turned it back on, but I've disabled it once again.

It provides no positive value and I'm sick of the whining about the system.  It doesn't add anything to the community but problems, so it's GONE.

::)

Info: PHP Manual

#2 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hip-hip-harray!

*Waits for CrayonViolet to disagree  ::)*

Blimmy I have done 3000+ posts :o

#3 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

it's nice to see someone make an executive decision on the subject.

if anyone wants to know who does and doesn't have good solutions (and who should/shouldn't be disregarded when they post a "solution"), it's up to them to figure it out.  or it's up to one of us to say "that solution is a total load of crap.  here's why:".  either way, it's a little more solid than many of the good contributors here being smitten for no apparent reason.

i'd be fine with it coming back if we enforced a "reason for this smite" mod, but until then, eff it.  ober's right:  causes more grief than good here.

#4 Koobi

Koobi
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 419 posts
  • LocationColombo, Sri Lanka | South Asia

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

i don't see a real use for karma but it doesn't bother me that it was there either.

but then again if something isn't really necessary for the forum to function well and that something can cause problems, then i don't really see the point in keeping it.

i'd say it was a good decision to remove it.

#5 steelmanronald06

steelmanronald06
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationOk

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

Either way was cool with me.  In some ways it was kinda cool to have around, just to see what people thought of me on how they ranked me, but then you have all those others out there who are all like, "Why did I get a smite?  I'm gonna go cry now and cut my wrist because someone gave me one smite! WAAAAA!"  Okay, perhaps that was a bit dramatic, but still. 

#6 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:41 AM

Hip-hip-harray!

*Waits for CrayonViolet to disagree  ::)*

Blimmy I have done 3000+ posts :o

actually... i will admit defeat. this is a classic case of something that should work in principle, but in reality... no dice. :/  I stand by all my arguments for the system. But the reality is that people are a bunch of whiny titty babies, quick to accept praise, quick to smite, slow to accept criticism.  Even if the karma system came with some kind of "reason for praise/smite," I think people would still complain.  Oh well. 
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#7 pixy

pixy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

I never did understand the point of karma.

This is a .44 Caliber Loveletter straight through my heart.

Tabulas + Threadless + Hire Me!

#8 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

kind of like communism.  good in theory, will NEVER work in practice.

#9 hackerkts

hackerkts
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 593 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:49 AM

>.<! This had become a debate, I would like to repeat myself.
Karma is really useless, it just show '+' and '-'. So what if you have alot of positive karma ? Do you really wanna show it off ? This is actually the same as post counts, people actually get into conflict because of those small matters. :(

Regards,
hackerkts

To be a coder, you must learn how to think and not to give up so easily.

#10 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

This topic is done... there is no need for repitition of points made in the other thread.  I'm sick of hearing and talking about it.  It's removed, that's it.  Topic closed.

Info: PHP Manual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users