Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grazzman

Stupid Question

This should be an easy on.  I have a from in HTML that is inside a Print statment. What I need is when they click on SUBMIT for it to call a PHP Function and to take the value of 2 text boxes and make them into $something for php... I need to do this without the page refreshing or reloading... Any thoughts?

Without refreshing = not PHP. Try Javascript or AJAX.

Ok, forget the form part....

Can I just set a php $variable to a HTML Textbox? Then I will just make a button that will call the function that has the code to set the value......

Does that make sense? It does not need to be a form, or a post, just something like    $phpVariable = document.getElementById('textbox').value;

I know that is Javascript, but I need to merge the gap from JavaScript and PHP..... and I dont even know were to start to look

[quote]I need to merge the gap from JavaScript and PHP..... and I dont even know were to start to look[/quote]

Ajax!

Prototype.js library has a neat AJAX class. I don't know if there are other better AJAX frameworks... anyway, you can write your own if all fails :)

Ajax really need'nt be as complicated as some big framework. Especially if you dont understand the basics its just bloat.

[url=http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=112198633625636&w=2]A simple ajax tutorial[/url] written by the guy who invented php.

Well you dont really have much choice. Php runs on the server, javascript runs on the client.

So, im guessing that I can not call a PHP function with Javascript either without Ajax?

Not without refreshing the page.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.