Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KittyKate

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc not a valid MySQL result

I'm getting the warning:
Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

from the following code and don't know why. According the MySQL Query Browser the query works, so what is up with the instruction? I essentially grabbed the code right from: http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-query.php

[code]<?php
$query = sprintf("SELECT Keyword FROM SFM_Project_Keywords WHERE PI_Word = %i AND Code = '%s'", $pi, $_GET['code']);
$result = mysql_query($query);

$keywords = "";

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
    $keywords .= $row['Keyword'] . " :: ";
}
?>[/code]

one trick to debug queries: mysql_error().

[code]$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());[/code]

another good way is to echo the query to screen, so you see exactly what went wrong. sometimes manually typing a query into mysql browser and the actual query generated from php are different.

From what I see here you are probably missing the quotes around %i

[code=php:0]<?php
$query = sprintf("SELECT Keyword FROM SFM_Project_Keywords WHERE PI_Word = %i AND Code = '%s'", $pi, $_GET['code']);
$result = mysql_query($query);

$keywords = "";

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
    $keywords .= $row['Keyword'] . " :: ";
}
?>[/code] try that

Turns out fprints() didn't like the %i. Switching it up to a %s didn't work, but putting $pi right into the string fixed the error. Since the value of $pi is set within the script I'm not worried about SQL injection attacks. The query string now looks like:

[code]$query = sprintf("SELECT Keyword FROM SFM_Project_Keywords WHERE PI_Word = $pi AND Code = '%s'", mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['code']));[/code]

Thanks for the help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.