[SOLVED] MySql installation help

c4onastick

Hi,

I've installed MySql on my server, it worked once, then the mysqld daemon doesn't want to run anymore.

If I run it I get this message:
me@localhost:# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysql/mysql.pid
060726 23:30:58  mysqld ended

The error log has this in it:

060726 23:22:09  mysqld started
060726 23:22:09  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
InnoDB: Reading tablespace information from the .ibd files...
InnoDB: Restoring possible half-written data pages from the doublewrite
InnoDB: buffer...
060726 23:22:09  InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43809.
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43842
InnoDB: Last MySQL binlog file position 0 79, file name ./mysql-bin.000006
060726 23:22:09  InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
060726 23:22:09  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43842
060726 23:22:09 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
060726 23:22:09  mysqld ended

Any thoughts? I've been all over the internet trying to find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running Slackware 10.2. And I have tried running the mysql_install_db script to no avail.

Thanks.

Yes, I recompiled and reinstalled after I had this problem for a bit. It should be /usr/local/mysql (somthing like that). Does datadir=/xxx/xxx need to appear in my.cnf in the [mysqld] section? (I tried defining basedir=/xxx/xxx, which didn't help). I noticed that the error code [2002] is not listed in MySqlFreaks Error listing...

Ok, I wrestled with it yesterday. I ended up recompiling & reinstalling again for a fresh slate.  ./mysqld_safe works fine. But, for some odd reason the rc.mysqld daemon isn't reading any of the changes I make in /etc/my.cnf. I added the datadir=/xxx/xxx to my.cnf. But still got the same error, I'm wondering if that datadir needs to be at the top of the [mysqld] section, it really shouldn't matter, but that's the way they have it on dev.mysql.org/doc/. I did, however, sucsessfully start the daemon using the actual daemon in /usr/libexec using the --datadir=/xxx/xxx option. Any other thoughts? I'm hoping all it takes is to move datadir=/xxx/xxx to the top of the [mysqld] section, but its a dim ray of hope in the vast darkness that is my current installation.

To sum up:

/usr/libexec/mysqld --datadir=/xxx/xxx

Works fine

/etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld start

Doesn't work, same error. Trying to load databases from /var/lib or somthing similar.

Thanks.

Ah-Ha! I found the problem. In my rc.mysqld script, the --datadir=/xxx/xxx was set to /var/xxx. I manually set it to the correct directory. I suppose I could remove it also to have it take the settings from my.cnf.

If you have this problem with Slackware (I think its because Slackware ships with a version of MySQL already) you must manually remove the --datadir=/xxx/xxx option in the rc.mysqld script or set it to the appropriate directory.

Thanks for your help, you got me rolling down the right path.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.