Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brown2005

root-mean-square

hi,

does anyone know how to write php code for a root mean square, i was brosing on the net and saw it and wanted to know how it was done.

[quote author=brown2005 link=topic=102059.msg404505#msg404505 date=1154002874]
hi,

does anyone know how to write php code for a root mean square, i was brosing on the net and saw it and wanted to know how it was done.
[/quote]I don't fully understand, do you want to know how to calculate the RMS of an array of values?

well i saw on a rating thing, they use a root mean square to combat someone who just keeps putting 1111111111111111111111111111111 for everone...

so i wanted to know how they do it

I don't understand how this will help, RMS "is a statistical measure of the magnitude of a varying quantity". I'm not brilliant in maths, but I think this is how you work out the RMS of an array of values:
[code]<?php
function rms() {
    $vals = func_get_args();
    $new = "";
    foreach($vals as $n) $new += pow($n,2);
    $new = sqrt($new / count($vals));
    echo $new;
}
?>[/code]
Someone that [i]is[/i] good at maths, please do go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote author=brown2005 link=topic=102059.msg404528#msg404528 date=1154006335]
ok.. ill try.. so in a rating system wat would you use, just a normal average?
[/quote]Personally, yes. Maybe you could filter out all ratings that are full of 1's...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.