Gigapixel photography

nrg_alpha

My digital slr is a meager 10 mega pixels. Even now, this is looking pretty weak in comparison to modern day mid to higher end spec'ed dslrs (16-24 mega pixels). Believe me, that's plenty of pixels to play with.

How about playing with a giga pixels? Check out these giga pixel images. Left mouse click (or +) to zoom in... and in... and in... and in... and in... (pretty impressive resolution! - I can only image the harddrive you would need to store even a small modest amount of those types of photos).

How does it work?

Gigapixel images are created by tiling a large number of photographs, or scanning a large film negative (8" x 10"). Gigapixel images are displayed on-line using streaming technology which breaks the image into small tiles and loads them as you look. This allows you instantly view high-resolution images that are over several gigabytes in size.

Over 1GB!

In 24 bit BMP format with no compression, 1 billion pixels would be a little over 24 billion bits, or 2.794GB.

I'm sure they're not BMPs though, but I bet the originals are stored in a lossless format.

Yeah, I'm sure the originals are lossless.

I read that one guy (a Brit who is an ex aerospace engineer) got his hands on large 9"x17" Kodak film magazines that costs over $1,000 each (apparently, these were used in spy planes like the U2) and managed to build a 4 giga pixel camera out of it (works out to apparently ~4000 pixels per square inch - I think it was that much if I'm not mistaken). That's just insane!

By the way, for the Vancouver cityscape image, there is a woman in her underwear in one of the windows.

By the way, for the Vancouver cityscape image, there is a woman in her underwear in one of the windows.

Lies!

Well, it looks like underwear to me (I suppose it could be tight white shorts.. but I perceive it as otherwise). I'll see if anyone finds her.  :P

I found her....  Managed to zoom in right on her.  On accident.  Of course.

I think it's just a tank top and tight white shorts unless we're talking about different people.

Am I the only creepy, or did y'all give all the windows a quick scan too?

lol

I hate the term megapixel. It's the single thing most people look for when buying a camera. "My phone has like got a 234234234324 MP camera!!11one!". Yeah, but it probably has a crap lens, so it doesn't really matter. GTFO.

What else would you look for?

I found her....  Managed to zoom in right on her.  On accident.  Of course.

Of course ;)

I think it's just a tank top and tight white shorts unless we're talking about different people.

Nope. It's the right person. You found her.

Am I the only creepy, or did y'all give all the windows a quick scan too?

No, you are not the only creepy.. I too was looking into all the apartments. Man oh man, if only I had such a camera!

I hate the term megapixel. It's the single thing most people look for when buying a camera.

Indeed, and it's most unfortunate. The main problem with megapixels is that the more there are, the more densely packed the sensor photodiodes are.. as a result, a negative impact on signal-to-noise ratios.. (which ultimately means that shooting in low light level situations means more grainy noise in the image). The worst part about all of this is that camera manufacturers are now caught in the mega pixel race, always trying to out do their rivals (as after all, consumers want more). But it gets inherently more difficult to produce low noise images as a result.

Personally, I am happy with 10-12.. But at the same time, some professionals might prefer and make use of 'more affordable' 24 mega pixel camera (like say Nikon's $8,000 D3x) in place of more expensive medium format digital cameras. But in either case, this pixel rat race extends to phones, compact cameras and such.

Lies!

I did find Waldo though.

I didn't find it either... which building? 

I did find a window that looks like it could be two people doing it.  I don't think that's what it really is, but still...

tallest building.  If you look at street level there's a white SUV next to 2 red box looking things.  Follow that straight up, right above the ground level store or whatever. 

I did find a window that looks like it could be two people doing it.  I don't think that's what it really is, but still...

tallest building.  If you look at street level there's a white SUV next to 2 red box looking things.  Follow that straight up, right above the ground level store or whatever.

Could be.  xD  Right below the apartment with the family eating dinner?

Could be.  xD  Right below the apartment with the family eating dinner?

The one right below that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.