Do you Listen to Music when You program?

Demonic

Do you Listen to Music when You program?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Listen to Music when You program?

• Yes
    • No

I'm downloading this mega pack of relaxing music and some relaxing classical music to see if it helps me program in a more relaxing way.  (Might even help sooth my headache) [it's warez so I can't post it contact me if your interested, just not on the forums PM is fine]

Do you listen to relaxing music when you program?

Some people can't concentrate as well when music is playing.

Personally, as much as I enjoy listening to music when I code, I find myself pausing it whenever I get stuck or I need to figure out something.

Others don't really need to.

So rather than ask people what they do and follow them, just do what works for you. Try listening to music while coding, especially if it can rid of that headache. :)

Typically techno/trance for me is the best choice... I also do Rock, Rap, and whatever you would put "Tool" into.  I need something with a solid beat and I often type to the beat.

I tend to program most efficiently when I'm listening to music. It distracts that part of my brain that is seeking distractions (so as to keep throwing me off track), and I'm usually able to keep the work-oriented portion of my brain concentrated with the rest concentrated on the music.

For me it's a mix of techno, dance and alternative rock. I sometimes find myself needing to lower the volume if I'm stuck somewhere in my code, but in general I like having music playing in the background. When it's too quiet for too long, I feel the need to have some background noise...old habits die hard I suppose.

To be honest the reason that I put music on most of the time is to have background noise, I dont always play music though sometimes I just put the TV on in the background and dont even watch it just as long as there is some noise otherwise I find myslef feeling like im going crazy.

Most people say it is easier to concentrate when there is no background noise but I'm the opposite I find myself getting annoyed with my code when it doesn't work, whereas when I have background noise I just get on with coding and try another method if im stuck.

The main reason for me to use the TV sometimes is because the content always changes, when I'm listening to music I find myself changing the song every now and again or stopping and singing along etc. whick disturbs my workflow and I don't get as much done.

Basically if you can work fine without background noise and find those types of conditions easier to concentrate in then go with that but if listening to something helps you code then why not.

Always got music on,

Volume goes down if I need to think up a design.

Volume goes up when I'm stuck on something that doesn't make any sense at the moment

The music is always metal(any kind)/rock(pretty much any kind)/industrial

Typically techno/trance for me is the best choice... I also do Rock, Rap, and whatever you would put "Tool" into.  I need something with a solid beat and I often type to the beat.

lol. Rap/Top 40 all the way. Did anyone get their hands on the new Eminem album, Relapse yet?

Well, I don't listen to music when I code, because I just started, and when you're listening to music and reading something new, or obtaining new information, it isn't always good to have it playing.

But mainly it's because I've only been here a few weeks and I'm nervous on whether or not I should listen to music or not.

I watch TV when I code sometimes, but I don't usually listen to music.  Well, sometimes I'll turn music on, but then I spend more time changing songs than listening to songs, so I just turn it off.  I have a fairly large collection of songs, but I'm tired of all of them, and I'm too lazy to find other songs that I don't think suck.

As for TV, it's mainly just white noise, not actually watching it.

lol. Rap/Top 40 all the way. Did anyone get their hands on the new Eminem album, Relapse yet?

i have its gr8, go out n buy it if u want it tho dont ask me to send u it, then where is em gonna get his money from XD.

Lots of people seem to like rock 8)

I listen to reggae most of the time at work....which my boss cannot understand why also throw in some Anthony Hamilton, Matchbox 20, Journey, Aerosmith and the like.

At home i listen to my wifes pounding loud rap **** which I CANNOT stand...

It really depends on what I am doing if I'm going to listen to music, most of the time I get so zoned out when I'm coding I seem to forget there is music and everything else for that matter

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.