My portfolio

Hybride

Hey everyone, up for grilling is my portfolio: Anekyu. It's a design/code/writing (artistic?) portfolio, but I have this really aggravating amateur touch to it that I can't figure out what - my guess it's the softness of the graphics. (It's that last step before you get the "eureka!" moment to go to professionalism). I would really like it if you guys absolutely tear it apart and let me know what you think. :)

It's the soft fades that make it look amateur'ish, and the purple links.. which is in most browsers the default color for a visited link. Think most fonts are at their default size as well and some mor spacing between links in the menu wouldn't hurt.

I'd get rid of the right column, it barely serves a purpose and the content feels cramped

http://www.anekyu.com/art/ don't use scaled down images as thumbnails, makes it take forever to load the page.

I would really like it if you guys absolutely tear it apart and let me know what you think. :)

Careful what you ask for ;)

- I do find the GUI amateurish.. it's all the gradients and the plain lettering with black outlines... (this lends to skills 'anyone' can do kind of thing, which in turn explains why it feels amateurish IMO). If you reduced the amount of gradients, perhaps worked in some nice tight-clean beveled effects and overlayed some nice shiny metal texture, it would add more polish and punch (speaking about the header / menu graphic part). The style (and the physical dimensions) of that image doesn't quite go with the rest of the body I find.. They kind of clash.. Perhaps finding a style that unifies them would work better.

- You make use of the h2 heading tags.. But perhaps adding a single prominent h1 tag? Also, the 'keywords' meta tag is not very useful. You can also scrp the meta robots tag as well, as by default, search spiders will crawl the entire contents of the site (where allowable in accordance to the robots.txt file apparently).

- I would have a look at your markup and css validation issues.

- http://www.anekyu.com/art/digital/series/godssouls/ your portfolio images are being forced into non-native resolutions. As a result, they look stretched or squashed. I would scale each image down till they fit comfortably within their container to eliminate this effect (and have custom thumbnails for each one that isn't stretched or squashed either). I would check all portfolio images.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.