[SOLVED] Using leading '/' (forward-slash) for referencing file system root.

nothing500

Is referencing the root with '/' dangerous? Why?

Everyone says to reference the doc root with $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']. Well, on my server, '/' points to the same location as $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']. Is my server setup improperly?

I've read opinions on this and still don't see the problems with it, aside from the fact that its an absolute path, so it can't be changed dynamically from one variable. I think my favorite solution for referencing the root is to define a constant, e.g. "ROOT", and use that for all paths.

There are two reference points that you can use...

The first is the "document root".  This is the directory that is the base for all the webpages on the server.  For example, if you install the apache RPM on RHEL/CentOS it defaults to /var/www/html.  When you have a link in your html and you put "/" in the link, for example:

<a href="/some/random/page.php">test</a>

The browser will look to the document root.

The other reference point is the file system.  When you include a file, using php's include or require functions, it references the file system.  So the path you use references the "root" of the file system.

This means that doing

include("/web/includes/somefile.php");

will look for a file outside of the tree of documents that the web server references.  In the above example for a link, the actual referenced file would be at a location similar to "/var/www/html/some/random/page.php".

This is important when you are including documents in your php scripts because sometimes you want to put a file to be included outside of the document tree that the webserver can access.  For example, if you have a php file that contains your MySQL credentials, you don't want just anyone to be able to use their browser and point to "/some/random/mysql_credentials.php" to get the connection information.

For the majority of files though, they are simply code that contains nothing sensitive.  Using the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] variable is a simple way of providing the absolute path for including a file, while that path still remaining flexible (because not everyone has the same document root).

Hot damn -- 2 roots!

Great response, Hitman  :)

That makes sense -- the client only has access to the document root, so that's its root, but the server has access to everything, so it has a different root.

So, this leads me to believe that using '/' on the client side (e.g. in my HTML) is totally harmless because it's only accessing the document root.

Correct?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.