Requirments for taking payment through your site?

rv20

Paypal is fine but say you want to take credit or debit card transactions then do you need some kind of license(or permit)

You would need to setup up SSL which would require certificates and the like, does anyone have a guide and an idea how much it would cost to setup a payment system on your site?

It's not as simple as having an SSL certificate and what not.

The first major thing you would run into would be having an agreement with all of the major credit card companies.  (Having a credit card number is useless unless you charge it through Visa and get the money transferred to you [Visa just being an example].)

You could probably use some kind of company like restaurants use.  I'm sure there's a company somewhere with some kind of API that would allow you to charge credit cards.  There will still be a charge though, and this is where the main problem comes into play.

Security.  If you get a database full of emails stolen, it's a big deal, but if you get a database full of credit cards stolen that's a lot bigger deal.

In some countries (like the USA for example), there are also certain security specifications you must meet to be able to legally store credit card numbers (in full) on your server.  I don't remember any of the specifications though.

So, unless you really want to put a ton of effort into this, I must suggest using some kind of gateway, be it Paypal or someone else.

In some countries (like the USA for example), there are also certain security specifications you must meet to be able to legally store credit card numbers (in full) on your server.  I don't remember any of the specifications though.

That would be PCI DSS.

It's not as simple as having an SSL certificate and what not.

The first major thing you would run into would be having an agreement with all of the major credit card companies.  (Having a credit card number is useless unless you charge it through Visa and get the money transferred to you [Visa just being an example].)

You could probably use some kind of company like restaurants use.  I'm sure there's a company somewhere with some kind of API that would allow you to charge credit cards.  There will still be a charge though, and this is where the main problem comes into play.

Security.  If you get a database full of emails stolen, it's a big deal, but if you get a database full of credit cards stolen that's a lot bigger deal.

So, unless you really want to put a ton of effort into this, I must suggest using some kind of gateway, be it Paypal or someone else.

Yes you are totally right, it would be to much unless you were at least a medium sized business witha good rep. But really what i thought in the first place.

Even if you insisted on taking direct cc payment, user is still going to have to go through the process of entering the info in and having it verified.  If I were a small business/mom&pop shop I would personally advise for you to put on your site a revamped explanation of why you only take paypal, focusing on the benefits to the user, like how it makes your product cheaper for them.

PayPal even has something called Payments Pro (or something like that) where you can hide it completely from the user. There is also authorize.net. There is no reason whatsoever to create your own payment processor. It's way too expensive and requires living up to very strict standards.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.